Contador banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hont

Guru
And like pratically everybody, I am incredibly annoyed with how long this process has taken. It makes last year's Giro a complete joke.

And I would be much happier if it was a case of a victory for clean athletes, but I can't find myself believing in the two named below.

"The ban means Contador will lose race results dating back to and including the 2010 Tour de France. Andy Schleck will become the Tour de France champion while Michele Scarponi is crowned winner of the Giro d'Italia"

Alun

Guru
I think the most likely explanation is that he had a blood transfusion, but the test for plasticisers is still not approved even 18 months later, so could not be used as evidence.

There is also the case that on the day he "tested" positive for plasticisers he did not fail on Clenbutamol, that happened the next day. I haven't seen an explanation for why this should be.

It could be that the contaminated meat was true, but CAS upheld the "zero tolerance" approach.

Globalti

Legendary Member
[smugly vindicated mode]

I got flamed at the time for posting that I had lived in a Spanish hall of residence and taught English to lads like him and I didn't trust him, I said he was too smarmy for my liking. People flamed me for making a judgement from what I'd seen on TV.

[/smugly vindicated]

Keith Oates

Janner
If that is the case Hont, then I can understand why he is being punished. I'm glad I don't have to examine and test everything I eat and drink to make sure I stay employed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alun

Guru
He affected lots of races by being there. His attack in last years TdF was significant, he 'won' the Giro!!!, he 'earned' other riders prize money, he has stayed race fit unlike other 2 year banned riders etc
It's not a satisfactory result, but it's more than a lot of people thought he would get. It's a 2 year ban, it either starts from when he was tested or from now. Can't start from now as that would mean he would retain the 2010 TdF and the Giro.

How much of the 18 month wait can be blamed on Contador (if you accept the right to plead not guilty), and how much on the authorities ?

Alun

Guru
[smugly vindicated mode]

I got flamed at the time for posting that I had lived in a Spanish hall of residence and taught English to lads like him and I didn't trust him, I said he was too smarmy for my liking. People flamed me for making a judgement from what I'd seen on TV.

[/smugly vindicated]
Some people probably wanted to see the evidence, and didn't have access to your "Smarmy-ometer".

It's a surprise but one everyone can claim a victory from, I'm kinda getting used to this in professional cycling. I wonder if Schleck and Scarponi will gain any satisfaction from it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[smugly vindicated mode]

[/smugly vindicated]
What a lot of nonsense. He must be guilty because you didn't like some look-alikes and he looks smarmy on TV.

FWIW, it's a better result than I, and most of us, expected so I'll take some pleasure from this ruling.

raindog

er.....
Schleck and Scarponi may have been doped too, always supposing Berto was doped, in fact, they may have been more doped, but just got away with it.
Cynic, me?^_^

Willo

The locals were quicker to arrive at the guilty verdict during the early stages of last year's TdF!!
IMAG0510.jpg

Just so rubbish when the winner didn't get to enjoy the moment - am sure this doesn't feel like a victory to A Schleck

Attachments

• IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 34
Good news at last but for me not good enough. If you continue to deny the charge and don't fess up including naming your sources then the ban should be life if you are subsequently found guilty. As others have pointed out two years isn't really two years, he has continued racing and being paid and if a team will take him because Saxo will have to dump him, what am I saying, of course a team will take him [Moviestar? Providing he doesn't sulk and retire] he will go for the Vuelta with huge support from the Spanish fans.
Pat McQuaid - "this is a sad day for our sport" says it all, what he should have said is "this is a great victory for our sport" and praised the work of anti doping agencies.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I suspect although Andy will be delighted secretly that he has finally got a TDF win he would rather have won it by the sweat off his back rather than the rulings of a court whatever the guilt or innocence of Contador.

Top Bottom