Contador press statement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzy29

amrushton said:
Disco don't have a new sponsor. they pack up at the end of this season

Blimey, not even the selling power of a 7 times winner and the current TdF champion (untill this afternoon) can't attract a sponsor. Still, I hope this is due to their signing of Basso and other problems and not a sign of things to come for other teams. Let's hope Cummings gets a decent ride somewhere.

fuzzy29

chris42 said:
They do have a sponsor but it has not been announced.
Prob announced on the 1st Sept.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-08-10-discovery-shut-down_N.htm

Not according to today's news;

"Tailwind Sports, owner of the Discovery Channel Profesional Cycling Team, is expected to announce Friday that the team will cease operations at the end of this season. One of the winningest teams in the sport, Discovery and its predecessor, the U.S. Postal Service Team, won eight of the last nine Tour de France championships: seven consecutive from 1999-2005 with Armstrong and in 2007 with Alberto Contador of Spain."

chris42

if this is the case why isn't everyone spectualting where Levi, Contadore, Gustav etc.. are going?
Also wouldn't Johan be in demand as a DS anywhere?????

Can't see it myself.
They have a pro tour licence and they are like gold dust.

The only thing I could see happening is tailwind buying slipstream and making them a protour team???

Tetedelacourse

Ha ha he does, I wonder if he's running a global conglomerate from his bedroom.

As for the Press Conference, glad that there's no revelations but can't help feeling that might come back and bite him on the bum some day.

Chris James

Über Member
'winningest'? Did they really write that? That ranks with 'burglarize' as one of the worst assaults I have seen on the English language by the Yanks.

chris42

this sentence is hopeful?

"I do not think you have seen the last of this organisation in the sport, but clearly things need to improve on many levels, with a more unified front, before you would see us venture back into cycling

Guess I'm a fan hoping it will continue.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Signing Basso was the most dumb-ass decision ever. It stripped away what vestige of credibility this team had.

Sponsors..barge pole ? We can all fill in the rest.

Top Bottom