Contemplating n+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I've had my current bike for about 3 years now, and my commute is about to get longer. Now I like my bike (Giant Escape) but of course the temptation for n+1 is always there. I do like my disk brakes but I'm tempted by going for a road bike given the increase in miles (adding about 10 miles possibly!!!). I realise it would have to be mechanical disk brakes.

Does such a thing exist as a road bike with a step-over frame. My existing frame is a normal mens frame but I have occasional hip/back problems getting onto the bike and have to lean it or find a convenient kerb (which isn't so convenient as when I'm having problems I can only get on from the right side of the bike).

The other option is getting more than one bike so that I can take the lower framed bike when my back/hip are playing up.

I need to be able to put a rack on the bike to carry all the junk I carry in my panniers for work etc.

Any suggestions? (I'm only at the browsing stage at the moment). Probably up to £1000 for the right bike.

VamP

Banned
I understand from the above that you are looking for a bike with drops and road geometry, but with disc brakes...

Nobody puts disc brakes on a road bike yet, but there are a number of cross bikes that could fit your bill. They tend to be sold with off road tyres, but you should be able to negotiate with the retailer to have road tyres fitted.

Have a look at the Whyte Saxon Cross or there's the Boardman CX. Someone will recommend the Speciallized Tricross, but I cannot bring myself to do it.

Planet X Dirty Disco combines discs and carbon frame, but it might be outside your budget (there is talk of a cheaper build in the pipeline).

I am not aware of any step over frames that meet your other requirements...

Cyclist33

While not step-over in the strictest sense, both Scott (with the Sub 30 or Sub 10 "Solution" models) and Specialized (with the Vita) make "Women's specific" fast hybrid frames... well within your budget and possibly worth a look. Sure there are other manufacturers doing the same, too. Are you dead set on drop handlebars? You don't explicitly say so. If you like the Escape then you might prefer to stick with flat bars.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...ert-2011-womens-hybrid-bike-ec025023#features

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for the suggestions ... I'm not set on dropped handle bars - I just wondered about it due to the increased distance - I generally like my existing bars although I had about an inch taken off each side as they felt too wide and occasionally I wish for different hand positions.

I do feel as if there is a gap in the market for a bike with a low step over for people who find it difficult getting on and off. Most of the low step over frames are just aimed at people wanting to pootle in my opinion - though maybe I should be aiming to pootle on the days when my hip/back are giving me problems.

Davidc

Guru
For a change of hand position you can fit bar ends to flat bars.

Some of the trekking bikes sold in mainland Europe do, I think, have step over frames, but I could be wrong!

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
There are some 'mixed' framed bikes with mechanical disc brakes around the £5~600 mark.

Take a look on the Wiggle website for some that are available.

N.B. Buy from who you want, I'm just suggesting looking.:smile:

Top Bottom