Conti GP4 seasons or GP5000s on the winter bike.... early planning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Rover

Guru
Evening.

Yes, this is very very early planning! I’m not normally this organised but I’ve got some spare settee time due to an injury.

Ive been using GP4 seasons on my winter bike for a couple of years but they’ll need changing for using later in the year.
They’ve been fine but I'm considering trying some GP5000s due to the decent reviews and some deals I’ve seen along with discount codes,

Has anyone made This change?

Are the 5000s suitable as a winter tyre?

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I’ve just switched to GP5000 from 4 Seasons. The difference is notable, faster and definitely more comfortable ride. BUT! Only been out on 1 wet ride and suffered 1 flinty puncture. Maybe poor luck, but I’ve kept the GP4 Seasons to put back for winter use just in case.
My experience over many years is that lightweight tyres are fabulous (Gp5000/Vittoria Open Pave/Michelin Pro Race) but for hassle- free winter riding something more durable is preferred. 4 Seasons fit the bill nicely.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I only briefly dabbled with Continental GP4000 and did indeed find them to roll well and faster but picked up 2 punctures within as many weeks so never used them again. I would say they are more a summer tyre.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I will be contrary, I ride decent tyres all year round, either Schwalbe Pro One or Conti 4000/5000. I much prefer them to 4 season style tyres and maybe it is because I run tubeless I very rarely have any punctures of note. In fact in the last few winters I can only think of a couple of times that I noticed the tyres resealing themselves.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I will be contrary, I ride decent tyres all year round, either Schwalbe Pro One or Conti 4000/5000. I much prefer them to 4 season style tyres and maybe it is because I run tubeless I very rarely have any punctures of note. In fact in the last few winters I can only think of a couple of times that I noticed the tyres resealing themselves.
I often wonder how much is the tyres or just the pure luck of the draw. Maybe I was just unlucky to have 2 in quick succession with the Contis. I have ridden Schwalbe Pro Ones and Vittoria Rubino Pros for thousands of miles with no incidents. I do keep a wary eye on the roads these days they are in such a state.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
GP 4 Seasons for winter, definitely. Awesome tyre.

Top Bottom