Continental GP5000 - how are you getting on with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I only use Continental Gatorskin due to their puncture resistance. I need to get some new tyres and would be happy to try the GP5000 which, generally seem highly rated overall but I can't see many reviews from people who have used them for significant mileages and some are claiming that they are not as resilient as the discontinued GP4000.

For those that use the Continental GP5000 in the real world such as commuting, broken road surfaces etc, how are you finding them over time?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Have been running Conti 4 Seasons 28c for the last few years in all weathers and surfaces and they have proved to be very resilient, even in flinty areas.
Recently been running the GP5000s.
First impression is notably quicker and more comfortable on our schitty road surfaces - really impressive. Nice! Had 1 P*uncture in the last ~5 weeks that I have had them when rains fell after a long spell on dry flinty roads. The shard I extracted was pretty similar to the one my pal had the other weekend through his Gatorskin - am not sure the 4 Seasons would have fared better.
Am not commuting, however as wetter weather becomes the norm and darkness descends I may return to the security blanket of the 4 Seasons, but for now am loving the 5000s and will keep them on as long as possible :-)

I've done about 10k now on GP5000's but that's over 3 separate pairs (different wheels, bikes etc). Roads here are smooth though and anything bigger than a pea sized hole is an outrage and considered a pot hole... Mine have all been 28mm TL

Only issue has been those side threads that strip away, apparently it's normal and according to Conti manufacturing processes but they can be a pain as they do get caught up in rear cassettes, jockey wheels etc.

Reactions: DSK

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally, having done about 4-5000 miles on them, I don't rate their longevity. They roll a bit quicker than 4000S2's but the tread has micro-cracks after a few hundred miles which affects rolling resistance. A sidewall blow-out last week on a relatively new tyre was the final straw.

As a result I've bought a batch of GP4000S2's to use and will be using a different tyre once they're used up.

lane

Veteran
Done maybe 3,000 to 4,000 miles on them tubeless. No punctures have required repair and as far as I can tell only had one. Probably have taken some liberties with them having done a fair bit of gravel etc. Very pleased with them but they do seem to wear quite quickly so probably work out a bit costly in the end taking account of the fact they are not cheap to begin with. I am currently planning to replace with the same when the time comes.

Only issue has been those side threads that strip away, apparently it's normal and according to Conti manufacturing processes but they can be a pain as they do get caught up in rear cassettes, jockey wheels etc.

That's good to know. I was very worried as this has happened on a couple of sets of Contis that I have and was thinking about changing them out due to fear of failure. Have you got any reference to the fact that it is normal?

lane

Veteran
Well it's happened on mine with no issues and I have seen enough references to it on the web it seems par for the course

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
On the UK Cycling FB page, there's a GP5000 thread where a lot of people have suffered from random sidewall bulges and rips, maintaining they never hit anything to cause it.

My GP 4 Seasons were superb and I never had a puncture once.

DRM

Guru
On the UK Cycling FB page, there's a GP5000 thread where a lot of people have suffered from random sidewall bulges and rips, maintaining they never hit anything to cause it.

My GP 4 Seasons were superb and I never had a puncture once.
I've had splits on both GP4000S2"s and Ultra sports, so not impressed at all, the Ultra Sports I can live with as they weren't overly expensive & I got them replaced at half price, the GP4000S2's were nigh on £50 a pair and split within 18 month's, they hadn't been abused, I had some Michelin Lithion 2's in the Garage that cost £25 for 2 with 2x tubes thrown in for good measure, been on 2 years no issues.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

The shop where I bought my Di2 groupset from and other stuff, did say that whilst the GP5000 is their best selling tyre and its tangible in difference, he rides them himself, they do have issues and punctures. At £70 odd a pair and the fact I never carry spares, (my idea of a spare anything is a mobile phone), I decided to stick with the tried and tested Continental Gatorskins.

Top Bottom