Continental GP5000TL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After some research I am speccing a new bike with Continental GP5000 tubeless as opposed to Schwalbe G One Speed.
Anyone using either of these and can comment ? Also I did prefer a maximum 30mm but the Continental is 28 or 32mm. So it would mean the smaller size

I have them in 28mm on 50mm Carbon rims and a pal has the same and we both like them, roll pretty well.

I run them at 70psi on a Carbon Defy and they're nice, could go lower I suspect.

I'm about 11st 4lbs for what it's worth.

He did puncture recently and it was a bad one which wrecked the tyre but other than that they seem good.

He swapped from the Schwalbe for a change and seems to like them.

Pretty easy to set up with an Airshot thing, didn't try with just a pump.

Not that much help I know but a start.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Given the bike you're getting, id say it deserves something a little more niche.

René Herse would be just the ticket. I'm sure Dom would be more than happy to fit them!

DRM

Guru
I have Continental GP4000S-2’s on my Giant Defy, I found them prone to picking up small splits which I ended up supergluing, my Marin Gestalt came with Schwalbe G-One Speeds, I had one slow puncture (Thorn) and found them to be fast rolling and grippy, the dotted tread pattern Only just started to wear on the rear after about 800 miles, I would say I prefer them to the continentals as they will cope with light off road too

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I have Continental GP4000S-2’s on my Giant Defy, I found them prone to picking up small splits which I ended up supergluing, my Marin Gestalt came with Schwalbe G-One Speeds, I had one slow puncture (Thorn) and found them to be fast rolling and grippy, the dotted tread pattern Only just started to wear on the rear after about 800 miles, I would say I prefer them to the continentals as they will cope with light off road too
35mm too big for me 🙂

Colin S

Über Member
I am running GP5000 TL in 25 mm.
Very happy with them. They were a very tight fit to get on the rim but by no means impossible. Inflated 1st time with an ordinary track pump.
Only had them on this year but haven't had any punctures so very happy

C

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Shame they don’t do the GP5000 in 30mm. May change the request to Contis in 28mm, not so keen on going 32 though

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm on my third set of GP5000s. The first set did +/-6000 miles without any punctures but plenty of self-sealed nicks.

I did have to replace the second set inside two months but this was because both suffered tyre wrecking punctures - no tyre is going to survive a deep split 0.5cm long. I was very unlikely to have two of these in ten days. 😭

Third set have been fine for the 1500+ miles I've ridden them.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'm on my third set of GP5000s. The first set did +/-6000 miles without any punctures but plenty of self-sealed nicks.

I did have to replace the second set inside two months but this was because both suffered tyre wrecking punctures - no tyre is going to survive a deep split 0.5cm long. I was very unlikely to have two of these in ten days. 😭

Third set have been fine for the 1500+ miles I've ridden them.
28mm ?

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Opted for the G-One Speed as they had the 30mm max I wanted and recommended by Mason as a good more Road orientated winter tyre
Thanks for everyones replies and help 👍

kenmiles

I also runt the 5000TL (28mm) on my 2020 Contend since last October (that 12 months has soon past) and find them very good.
I use Muc-off sealant which have sealed a couple of punchers and one big one I had to repair with a plug.

Top Bottom