Continental Rail Holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Help ! Swmbo wants us to go on the Oriental Express - sounds v expensive !
Has anybody done anything similar and if so how was it ?
I'd post this in Tour but I know bikes won't be involved....

depends... there are sightseeing orient express journeys... you can even do them in the UK... or you can go on the route on the standard trains.

i used to go through deutsche-bahn (sp) a UK based euro-rail firm, they are based in surbiton. for french train trips you can book with sncf direct and they'll send the tickets to the uk.

you can probably do it through last minute and the like now, i haven't done a euro rail trip for a while. i know swedish rail trips are a pain to book, but the orient express route should be easy.

oh... i took the standard sleeper (called the orient express) from vienna to paris many years ago. it was ok, but the sleeper berths are split by sex, so you might have to buy the third bunk to get it to yourselves... but if you're doing a fancy trip, they might have doubles.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Check seat61.com for the definitive guide to traveling by rail. He really knows his stuff.
No connection, I've just used his site (quite a lot) and found it to be the absolute canine dangly bits.

Melvil

TheDoctor said:
Check seat61.com for the definitive guide to traveling by rail. He really knows his stuff.
No connection, I've just used his site (quite a lot) and found it to be the absolute canine dangly bits.

I've used some of Seat61's suggestions when railing around the continent and they do work.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Melvil said:
I've used some of Seat61's suggestions when railing around the continent and they do work.

They surely do. Going to Sicily by train was a bit of a trek, but Corsica was really straightforward. Just looking up trains to Avignon now for a long weekend in Sault for the Tall Scary Thing aka Mont Ventoux.:ohmy:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
TheDoctor said:

Thank you Doctor, for pointing out seat61.com. I am trying to plan a journey to Scotland, going one route and coming back an entirely different route. I though it would be a pain to plan, but this site has made it easy peasy. :smile:

Top Bottom