Continental Tour Ride tyres - a warning..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
On the face of it, these seem to be a decent budget touring / utility tyre.

I recently bought a pair of 700x32c's for my Fuji utility bike, but once mounted on 19c rims came up at a poultry 27.5mm actual width :sad:

While I'm well aware that a little real-world tyre width variation should be expected due to differences in rim geometry, the 700x32c / 32-622 Vera Citywide tyres that came off measured a nominal 32mm wide; while the 700x37c / 35-622 Continental Sport Contact IIs mounted to the 19c rims on my Genesis come up at 35mm nominal.

Tbh it's ridiculous to think that this 15% discrepency on width could be due to tolerancing / factors outside the control of the manufacturers; so the only legitimate conclusion is that it's intentional. Having done some more digging I've found another individual on the net who's flagged this same problem; postulating that it's an intentional effort to down-play the mass of the tyres by the manufacturer.

Whatever the reason it's a bloody poor show and I can't even complain to Continental as their UK webshite has no contact info other than their social media accounts; the one I tried (FB) being dead.

So... being charitable if you want some of these tyres be aware that they come in well under-size and buy accordingly. Alternatively if you're a spiteful prick such as myself who resents being misled / having their time wasted; look elsewhere. The Contis have gone back to be replaced by some hopefully more honest Schwalbes; and tbh I think this is enough to have put me off every buying Continental tyres again if I can't even trust them to get the basics like sizing correct.

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I measured up between the forks on one of my bikes - meant for 25c maximum. And figured after careful consideration i'd 'risk' buying some 28c rubber and give it a go.....

Popped into my LBS, all they had in was Ride Tour in 28c. No big issue; the price and purpose for them suited me just perfect.

Until i then realised once on and fitted - they were probably narrower than the 25c i'd just removed - and in that make / model tyre, i suspect i could have crowded some 32c on without issue of having decent clearance on inner fork legs.

As you say; annoying, pointless, miles off spec, like no other Brand blah blah.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Did a similar frustrating exercise a few years ago with Vittoria Zaffiros.

My bike at the time came with 23mm Zaffiros and when these wore out I decided I could go up to 25mm safely, but probably no more. I ordered the 25mm tyre which was now superseded by a later version of the same tyre, but was frustrated to find the new 25mm tyre was actually a fraction smaller than the 23mm size it was replacing! It is annoying, especially when it is essentially the same type of tyre from the same manufacturer.

Jameshow

Veteran
I measured up between the forks on one of my bikes - meant for 25c maximum. And figured after careful consideration i'd 'risk' buying some 28c rubber and give it a go.....

Popped into my LBS, all they had in was Ride Tour in 28c. No big issue; the price and purpose for them suited me just perfect.

Until i then realised once on and fitted - they were probably narrower than the 25c i'd just removed - and in that make / model tyre, i suspect i could have crowded some 32c on without issue of having decent clearance on inner fork legs.

Had the same with those new robino I brought 28mm my behind - 25mm actually!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks folks :smile:

Sorry to hear that; although from my experiences it's unsurprising and I appreciate your findings corroborating my own. One of "my" "32s" would definitely have gone on I suspect :sad:

Tyre depth is the more crucial measurement.

Maybe, maybe not. In any case that's evidently even worse with these tyres as measured from their centre to the outermost extremity of the rim they came up at around 26.5mm; the original "32mm" tyres again coming up at 32mm in this area.

Whichever way you spin it they're grossly undersized and not at all what they claim to be.

My bike at the time came with 23mm Zaffiros and when these wore out I decided I could go up to 25mm safely, but probably no more. I ordered the 25mm tyre which was now superseded by a later version of the same tyre, but was frustrated to find the new 25mm tyre was actually a fraction smaller than the 23mm size it was replacing! It is annoying, especially when it is essentially the same type of tyre from the same manufacturer.

Aye.. totally avoidable waste of everyones' time :sad:

I've now packed the bloody things up again and sent them back for a refund. Re. my OP; I was mistaken about Continental's UK website as it does have a contact email address which I think will be getting abused..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I thought my 25c Zaffiros looked no different to the 23c Michelins they repaced. Got some 28c Gators on some spare wheels, and they are significantly bigger.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Was a typo, changed to 28mm. Rubino don’t come in 38mm

Understood.

Still not great though. I'm an Engineer. We don't buy Steel or any materials advertised as 28mm and to fit into a joint or gap to suit - that then come in as an actual 25mm. And you wouldn't buy lengths from a wood yard, fittings for your kitchen, or parts for your car etc etc that varied by 3mm (*Or 11% difference on 25mm).....or more. So i wouldn't expect bike tyre's to be any different, or infact routinely sold and not as advertised.

And unsurprisingly; across the named brands guilty of this - it seems it may be a case of receiving less (Ie: Less material and less cost to those manufacturers) than stated. Never more......

Jameshow

Veteran
Understood.

Still not great though. I'm an Engineer. We don't buy Steel or any materials advertised as 28mm and to fit into a joint or gap to suit - that then come in as an actual 25mm. And you wouldn't buy lengths from a wood yard, fittings for your kitchen, or parts for your car etc etc that varied by 3mm (*Or 11% difference on 25mm).....or more. So i wouldn't expect bike tyre's to be any different, or infact routinely sold and not as advertised.

And unsurprisingly; across the named brands guilty of this - it seems it may be a case of receiving less (Ie: Less material and less cost to those manufacturers) than stated. Never more......
Planned wood is never to size it's 44x44 for 50x50mm nominal but we expect that tbh. Unlike tyres!

hobo

O' wise one
I had Continental travel contacts on my tourer because I like the dual tread and what I thought were quality tyres at £35 a peice. Well the 37c measured 34mm and the tread has come apart on the centre line. I replaced with a 42c comes out at 38mm ! And over a few years the bead has separated from the side wall.
Not happy, contacted Conti UK and all they could offer were different model tyres no cheaper than I could get online.
Rubbish quality tyres made in India.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_134101_828.jpg
    IMG_20220806_134101_828.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom