Continental Ultra Sport 28c to GP5000 CLINCHER TYRE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mirobertson

Regular
Hey everyone. Sorry if this has been covered (I have used search but cant see it exactly):

Looking to change from Continental Ultra Sport 28c tyres to GP5000 Clincher tyres (also 700 x 28c). Does this sound sensible? Or is there a better way to go with tyres? Ive seen a few mentions of tubeless tyres…but I have no experience of these…are they any good in your experience?

I don’t race, instead opt for around 30mile rides at 15mph averages.

Thank you for your advice and guidance!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I've got GP4000 on at the mo, but may be changing to the GP5000 as a large piece of grit took a slice out of my back tyre yesterday and left a flap of rubber (going to see if it will glue back). Always loved the 4000's and have heard the 5000 are even better. Never fancied tubeless myself but that's just me. Also running 28c, very comfortable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cant comment on the tyres
tubeless is only available if your wheels support them , to me it looks a bit of a faff but others swear by it and one winter ride a chap i was with still needed to put a tube in when the hole wouldnt seal and he was covered in gunk

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
tubeless is only available if your wheels support them , to me it looks a bit of a faff but others swear by it and one winter ride a chap i was with still needed to put a tube in when the hole wouldnt seal and he was covered in gunk

Oh dear! It does look a bit messy and tricky for tubeless, at least with a tube you know where you stand!

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular

Thanks @cyberknight, thats useful. There seems to be several versions of GP5000’s out there…I’m not sure if Im looking at the right ones!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sportpursuit have 700x25mm for £37.99 plus postage (and loads of other discounted cycle stuff too)

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks @vickster ! I’ll check that out too.

your arse wont thank you for it, go 28mm or 30mm for comfort, don't go "back" to 25mm

personally I'd run the ultrasports it comes with until they are worn or unless you get puncturing issues, and then just upgrade once they are worn.

/ 40mm Valve will be fine?
yes, you only need a longer valve if you have deeper section rims

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
your arse wont thank you for it, go 28mm or 30mm for comfort, don't go "back" to 25mm

personally I'd run the ultrasports it comes with until they are worn or unless you get puncturing issues, and then just upgrade once they are worn.

They may well come up bigger. I personally can’t tell much difference between decent 25s and 28s but I value being able to fit proper mudguards!

Top Bottom