Continental Ultra Sport 28c to GP5000 CLINCHER TYRE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
your arse wont thank you for it, go 28mm or 30mm for comfort, don't go "back" to 25mm

personally I'd run the ultrasports it comes with until they are worn or unless you get puncturing issues, and then just upgrade once they are worn.

Yeah I was thinking 28s since thats what the bike comes with anyway and I ride with 28s on my current bike for comfort. I was thinking the Sportpursuit tyres would have a 28 option!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I was thinking 28s since thats what the bike comes with anyway and I ride with 28s on my current bike for comfort. I was thinking the Sportpursuit tyres would have a 28 option!

Sold out a while back

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Ah ok, thanks! I wasn’t sure! Presumably if I opt for 28 tyres, then the Standard Presta Valve Inner Tube Road - 700c - 700c / Presta / 19mm / 25mm / 40mm Valve will be fine?
Yes that tube will be fine, I’m running 19-25mm tubes and they are fine with 28mm tyres.
No need to buy new tubes though, just use your current set. Always good to carry a spare though.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They may well come up bigger. I personally can’t tell much difference between decent 25s and 28s but I value being able to fit proper mudguards!

well in the same tyre its reasonably certain the 28mm will be slightly (approx 3mm) larger than the 25mm. Its also clear the OP isn't that fussed about proper mudguards given the Orro Gold doesn't come with any mounts for them.

If you pump them to same pressure then you probably wont notice much difference, but the 28mm gives you ability to run slightly lower pressure with no increase in RR and without increasing risk of pinch punctures.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Looking to change from Continental Ultra Sport 28c tyres to GP5000 Clincher tyres (also 700 x 28c). Does this sound sensible? Or is there a better way to go with tyres?
Given the OP's riding (a couple of hours at 15mph average) think it's worth the OP asking what they're seeking with any change.
If the bike will take 28s, then stick with 28s. There is no merit selecting a narrower tyre.
5000s are Continental's highest quality (and price) tyre for 'normal' riding whereas the Ultra Sports are mid and half the price.
A 5000 in normal clincher variety have an excellent set of characteristics (I have a pair of 28s waiting to replace the current 4000s) but its key strong/selling point is its low rolling resistance. Is this important to the OP?
Here's the Bicyclerollingresistance.com comparison GP5000 v Ultra Sport-iii (25s)
The 5000s in 28 come up a couple of mm narrower than 4000s. I haven't ridden Ultra Sports so would suggest to the OP they pump their current Ultra Sports to 80psi and measure (4 cardinal points and average) to check spec v actual (will vary with internal rim width).
Plenty of riders on here will prefer other makes.
I'm with @T4tomo here: "I'd run the Ultrasports until they are worn or unless you get puncturing issues". Twice weekly rides of 30 miles: should get at least a year's riding out of the rear wheel.

DRM

Guru
Also bear in mind that GP5000's can be so tight to fit, they're enough to make a saint swear, even in non tubeless flavour, I've got some at home that I plan to see if I can fit them on another bike, if it'll take the width, these iirc are 700x32, they may inflate too wide to fit in the frame though, the Ultra Sports I had kicking about, 700x28's went on my Giant Defy which pleased me no end, as they make the bike more comfy then the previous 25mm GP4000S/2 that frankly were rubbish and kept splitting, as others have said the Ultra Sports really aren't a bad tyre, wear them out first, then consider what to replace with, Vittoria do some excellent tyres too

Jameshow

Veteran
I'd go for robino tyres better than ultra sports and cheaper than gp5000..

But I live in Yorkshire!🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: DRM

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'd go for robino tyres better than ultra sports and cheaper than gp5000..

But I live in Yorkshire!🤣🤣🤣

Are Robino similar to Rubinos?

Mr Celine

Discordian
well in the same tyre its reasonably certain the 28mm will be slightly (approx 3mm) larger than the 25mm. Its also clear the OP isn't that fussed about proper mudguards given the Orro Gold doesn't come with any mounts for them.
My old 25mm GP4000 measured 27mm wide on my rims. The 25mm GP5000 I replaced it with measured 23mm wide. I now have a 28mm GP5000 which measures 26mm wide.
Obviously not the same tyre, though they were supposed to be a direct replacement.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think they “corrected” the sizing with latter models / editions. Conti were known to be over size. Plus measured width is dependent on what width rims you have them mounted on.

OP
OP
mirobertson

mirobertson

Regular
Thanks all for the comments and advice. I’ll stick with 28s and see how the Ultrasports that come with the bike get on before changing anything. If I do change…I’ll stick with 28s just go Continental GP5000 since they seem to have great reviews and I don't live in Yorkshire 😂

Top Bottom