Continental ultra sports

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Dangermouse, 15 Aug 2012.

1. My bike came with these fitted and look ok but would it be worth changing for some better rated tyres.

2. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

I'd see how you get on with them. Some people hate them, I didn't mind them but found they didn't last long. Unless you're into racing I don't think you would benefit that much by replacing them immediately.

3. SquareDaff

SquareDaff Über Member

I found that they punctured very easily. I was replacing inner tubes at the rate of about 1 a week. Since changing tyres I've only had one puncture caused by a 2 inch nail.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I found mine quite durable. Poor wet weather grip though.

5. Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

I got some free but was never confident on them being a budget tyre,I managed 500 miles+ before a flat which i was kind of expecting ive not used them since they're currently on my spare wheelset they seem to roll ok.Some sites say they have P/protection where others dont but I dont think they have any.

6. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Definitely no puncture protection (or if there is, it hasn't worked in mine) but they're not a bad tyre. My only real complaint with mine is the same as Joe's - tricky on a greasy road.

7. Nearly there

Nearly there Über Member

Id still get out and use them

8. guitarpete247

guitarpete247 Just about surviving

I bought some at the beginning of March. The only fairy visit was caused by inner tube being old and going around the valve seat. Have done just under 1000 miles now and no problems. I will get another set when these wear out.

I can't recommend them high enough for the price. Plus I have 27" wheels on my old bike and they seem to be the lightest, slickest tyres I could get. I got the 27" x 1 1/8". Does anybody have any other recommendations for light, slick, 27" tyres. I do have some Marathon's I will put on when the weather turns (:whistle:).

9. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Not slick but Panaracer Paesla are the lightest 27" tyre I know about. SJS cycles stock them, but not cheap.

10. buddha

buddha Veteran

I had these on a new bike. They punctured twice within their first 100 metres of use. So I thought I'd use them when riding the rollers. But they squeaked like a hyperactive mouse.
    We have BSO's, so these tyres are what I'd call a "Tyre Shaped Object".

11. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I fink they're gash.

12. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

I bought mine because they were blue. and 23. and very very cheap. Despite being fitted to inappropriately wide rims (29er MTB ones!) they seem to roll along, have adequate friction to keep me upright and don't attract fairies. Did I mention they were blue?

13. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

Why don't you buy yourself some blue tyres?

14. GlasgowGaryH

GlasgowGaryH Über Member

I had a set and did 1200 miles on them. Kept them pumped up to 120 psi with no problems. Bit slippy in wet but cheap as chips,well not quite

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice