Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Rick Stein last night on the Beeb went to Bristol, crossing the Clifton Suspension Bridge said it was built by Brunel.
Brunel designed it but it was built after his death.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
People are re-writing history - nwo someone has suggested that Brunel PAID LABOURERS to do the actual track-laying, bridge-building etc etc ... :angry:
It’s pedantic but Brunel died 5 years before.
I don’t think anyone suspected he actually built the bridge himself.
Wikipedia suggests that William Barlow and John Hawkshaw designed the current bridge based on previous drawings by Brunel.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
People are re-writing history - nwo someone has suggested that Brunel PAID LABOURERS to do the actual track-laying, bridge-building etc etc ... :angry:

Now THAT would be a good plan of what to do after death: "forget donating stuff, I'd like a bridge built in my name. I've left you the design ..."

Hmmm ... but I've not enough cash for an iron bridge. Would a path over the local pond be as effective?

johnnyb47

Guru
I noticed a few years back whilst watching Only fools and horses, there was a scene were the Trotters where sat around a table having breakfast and talking/arguing about something or another.The table was covered with cups , ketchup bottles ect and when the Camara changed from one angle to another the contents on the table would disappear and reapear with the alternative camera shots.

johnnyb47

Guru
The Rovers Return on Corrie always fascinates me too.
When you see it from the outside it's no wider than the adjoining terrace house's,but as soon as your inside it turns into a tardis.There seems to be enough room in the pub for a full sized bar,a pool table ample seating and a darts board,and that's not to mention the living room at the back and the kitchen to cook Betty's hot pot, whilst poor old Jack and Veras mini bar looked positively cramped in there terrace house a few doors down.

Last edited:
There’s still lots of continuity/editing errors in ’Trucking Hell’ on ‘5 Action’

Coach-stands are seen in place, in shots, before the recovery truck has arrived
Under lifts are down, then they’re back up, then down again
Etc……

The narrator must be reading from a script, without seeing it, or making it up
Such as;
Rigid trucks turn into artics
Traffic is rushing dangerously by, when visually queuing/stationary
Extra heavy loads of 5 tons!

That word itself is sometimes pronounced as in ‘wonton
I watch it, but sometimes wonder why, as it’s dreadful editing

I wonder if the companies filmed have any control over the content?

I know that Crouch Recovery FaceBook page always has comments about that aspect

Last edited:
When you see it from the outside it's no wider than the adjoining terrace house's,but as soon as your inside it turns into a tardis.There seems to be enough room in the pub for a full sized bar,a pool table ample seating and a darts board,and that's not to mention the living room at the back and the kitchen to cook Betty's hot pot, whilst poor old Jack and Veras mini bar looked positively cramped in there terrace house a few doors down.

I have not looked for a while - but in the old days the Gents must have been in the front room on the house next door - which I believe was Albert Tatlock's
Is it still like that - my wife watches it but generally if she puts it on I start muttering about my bike!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Legend+ are repeating The Six Million Dollar Man a few months after Legend screened it all. I noted that in the opening credits of season 1, Martin E Brooks is shown as Dr Rudy Wells who created bionics. Trouble is....he's not in season 1, Rudy is played by Alan Oppenheimer in first seasons of the show, Brooks was in the last two. Basically, they're using the wrong credit sequence.

Legend+ are repeating The Six Million Dollar Man a few months after Legend screened it all. I noted that in the opening credits of season 1, Martin E Brooks is shown as Dr Rudy Wells who created bionics. Trouble is....he's not in season 1, Rudy is played by Alan Oppenheimer in first seasons of the show, Brooks was in the last two. Basically, they're using the wrong credit sequence.

talking of the 6 million dollar man - I used to watch it and noticed that in one episode he took a rife off someone and threw it right across a lake and into the water on the far side
the same clip appeared in the next 2 episodes

and then later on in the bionic woman the same clip appeared

I have not looked for a while - but in the old days the Gents must have been in the front room on the house next door - which I believe was Albert Tatlock's
Is it still like that - my wife watches it but generally if she puts it on I start muttering about my bike!

I watch Classic Corrie regularly - its in about 2004 right now - and its shocking not just how large the sets were compare to the interiors back then, but how in the modern version they are absolutely enormous inside.

I visited the original Corrie set in Manchester in the 1990s but remember little of it, I am booking a visit to the modern recreation of the set at Salford Media Village this year and will try and work some things out lol.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
talking of the 6 million dollar man - I used to watch it and noticed that in one episode he took a rife off someone and threw it right across a lake and into the water on the far side
the same clip appeared in the next 2 episodes

and then later on in the bionic woman the same clip appeared

Yeah, 70's, 80's shows used tons of stock footage. They even ripped off each others stories. In one 6 Million Dollar Man story, they're stranded on an island, Steve has to cut open his bionic finger to use a hot wire on Oscar Goldman who needs surgery, to cauterise the wound. Later, he says he cut himself shaving. A Bionic Woman story did the same, and it was a joke when she had the same line...

In Knight Rider, have you noticed when Mike backs up out of the Foundation truck, its never going in the right direction and he does a U-turn on exactly the same bit of road?. Plus he's always racing along the same roads. In some shots, KITT's red scanner is right at the front of the bonnet as in the pilot, but later shots have his front tapered more so the scanner is set back (you can see the large bracket under the car holding the extended front on).

The incredible Hulk story 'Never Give a Trucker an Even Break' used a ton of stock footage from Spielberg's Duel. He was apparently furious at it but couldn't do anything since both productions were owned by Universal.

An episode of Airwolf had a jet airliner crash into the sea & sink ......stock footage from a movie that did the same.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - the 8 window movie sub appears in FX shots in later seasons which should be the 4 window version. Irwin Allen was infamous for using lots of stock footage. In one episode David Hedison (Captain Crane) & a woman hide behind a rock while two dinosaurs fight. That was footage taken from The Lost world (1961)...that also starred Hedison so he appeared alongside stock footage of himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom