Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm quite happy to suspend my disbelief and allow a bit of artistic licence... such as people being able to fly, control time, create fire in the palm of their hand, take on the appearance of others, wipe memories, etc... But in Heroes series 2 (or 3?) when the predicted total eclipse of the sun finally happens, the sun is in eclipse in the USA, Africa and Japan... at the same moment. :wacko:

Explain that one script writers!

Nothing new. Take The Fighting Temeraire by Turner

View attachment 615198

Depicts an old RN warship being towed for breaking up. Except, the sun is entirely in the wrong place for that river. Also, the funnel on the tug is in an improbable position from an engineering point of view. This was noticed by the printer when he went to make copies and he corrected it by putting the funnel in the right place. Turner went nuts and told him to put it back and destroy the prints already made.

But does it matter about the sun ?
Why would that have to be correct ? It's not like that matters to anyone but the few locals.

That's really nit picking.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
no he shouldn't and no he wouldn't... the flux capacitor does all that for him, that's what makes time travel possible. :okay:
I did see Neil deGrasse Tyson on YT talking about this. In the Stargate Atlantis episode ' The Daedalus Variations', they get trapped on board the ship as it jumps through alternate universes & Rodney realises how to reverse it. But on returning to our universe, the ship retains it's inertial momentum, which means that they would be out of shuttle range. Perhaps the momentum of the DeLorean is preserved too, as suggested by the car skidding across the car park when it re-materialises?.

gbb

Legendary Member
There’s an Amazon ad on TV at the moment with a lady extolling how good an Amazon apprenticeship is, at the end she’s using a ratchet ring spanner on a machine, however she’s using it in such a way as the ratchet is freewheeling and then lifts it of to do the same again, top technical skills I think……not
Yeah i saw that and thought....oh fer chrissakes :headshake:

Chris S

Legendary Member
The classic James Bond car continuity error is in Diamonds are Forever where Bond, James Bond is taking Tiffany up a narrow allley in his red Mustang. He enters the alley left wheels in the air and exits right wheels in the air.
How about the scene in 'The Spy Who Loved Me' where Bond drives a Lotus Esprit out of the sea, opens a window and drops a fish out? How did the fish get into a watertight car in the first place?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Tonight's episode of The Larkins, relatively modern style stainkess sink and draining board in the kitchen, modern and trendy tile top work surfaces.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Angus Young's cap does some on/off moments! :laugh:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Watching UFO on the Horror channel after work at the moment and noted a few stock footage errors:

'Kill Straker' - the moon shuttle dives into the Earths atmosphere to evade a UFO but you can see the alien device stuck to the hull from an earlier episode 'Conflict'.
In another episode, Straker orders the moonbase interceptors to not shoot a UFO down, but as they return to base, they've clearly all discharged their missiles.

DRM

Guru
Tonight's episode of The Larkins, relatively modern style stainkess sink and draining board in the kitchen, modern and trendy tile top work surfaces.
Also the Larkin kids were painting low profile tyres for the gymkhana, an item that wasn’t available in the 1950’s

All Creatures Great & Small 2021
Series 2

I think it was the first episode, where James is coming back from Glasgow

1. They used the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. but the engine shown was 'Black 5' 5428 'Eric Treacy' (a nameplate could be seen)
it didn't gain that name until into the 1960s - possibly at preservation??

2. When James & Tris, are out, in the car, they pass a field (shot from a 'drone') & the tyre-marks of a BIG tractor can be seen on a field

yello

When James & Tris, are out, in the car, they pass a field (shot from a 'drone') & the tyre-marks of a BIG tractor can be seen on a field
Good point - drones didn't exist back then! ;)

But it does perhaps raise the issue of how far you want to go. Obviously, period clothing (for example) is made using modern construction methods and materials etc. And don't get me started on the spotless nature of clothing in a time where there are no dry cleaners!

Nah, I'm having a laugh. I genuinely have no problem with anyone enjoying spotting such things, or even being critical because of them. I have my moments of it too. For instance, it makes me smile when I see the multiple tyres tracks (for example) left from the rehearsals of a scene.

Top Bottom