Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
There’s an Amazon ad on TV at the moment with a lady extolling how good an Amazon apprenticeship is, at the end she’s using a ratchet ring spanner on a machine, however she’s using it in such a way as the ratchet is freewheeling and then lifts it of to do the same again, top technical skills I think……not

figbat

Slippery scientist
One that often catches film makers out is time zones. Calls between two countries where the daylight at both ends doesn’t match the time difference between them.

Exlaser2

Veteran
The classic James Bond car continuity error is in Diamonds are Forever where Bond, James Bond is taking Tiffany up a narrow allley in his red Mustang. He enters the alley left wheels in the air and exits right wheels in the air.

I always though that too. But after rewatching it a few weeks ago ,it clearly shows how the car got from entering with its left wheels in the air to exiting on its right wheels in the air.

Did I just not see that tiny scene the first time I saw the film or was it added after the film was first released to correct the error ? 😀

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
One that often catches film makers out is time zones. Calls between two countries where the daylight at both ends doesn’t match the time difference between them.
True! And it doesn't only catch fim makers out. A colleague of mine moved from Seattle to Atlanta recently, then on Thursday night he calls me at nearly midnight. I asked him what he's playing at and he cheerfully tells me it's only 4pm. Well I suppose it is in Seattle, but it's not in Atlanta, and it certainly isn't 4pm where I am. 🙄

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Strontium Dog - wow! I'm more and more regretting stopping buying 2000AD some 20 years ago. Had (still have) a near complete set from before that
Yes, I had the first copy along with all my mates. I also bought first copy of 'Captain Britain' the day my Dad and I went to see Logans Run. I wish I'd kept 2000AD but we were kids in those days, comics went in the bin once they'd been read umpteen times. No idea of capitalist economics and value of first editions aged 11:okay:.

captain nemo1701

True! And it doesn't only catch fim makers out. A colleague of mine moved from Seattle to Atlanta recently, then on Thursday night he calls me at nearly midnight. I asked him what he's playing at and he cheerfully tells me it's only 4pm. Well I suppose it is in Seattle, but it's not in Atlanta, and it certainly isn't 4pm where I am. 🙄

In the first episode of Thunderbirds, its night at 10pm on Tracy Island and Jeff calls Lady Penelope in London where he clearly states its 4pm in the afternoon. This would place Tracy Island six hours ahead of GMT, probably in the eastern part of the Indian ocean. It can't be six hours behind because that would put it somewhere on land in the eastern USA. However, its suggested that Tracy Island is in the Pacific.

If so, then its behind GMT, not ahead. But doing the maths - 4pm minus 10pm - for an island allegedly behind GMT, would put it a whopping 18 hours behind GMT. NY is about 5 hours behind, LA about 8 hours and the international date line 12 hours which is the maximum limit you can be behind GMT. So Tracy Island must be in the Indian Ocean. This would almost match the awful 2004 film version which was - I think - partly shot on location in the Seychelles although they're a bit too far west.

yello

Some of the continuity examples cited are not really continuity at all. That is, the 'that colour car wasn't around in 1965' sort of example. It's a historical accuracy type of thing that some will see, others won't. I'm in the latter category as a rule, I know sod all about sod all.

Film and TV are littered with continuity errors, depending on how picky you really want to be. Actors looking one way in one shot, then another in the next. Hair ruffled up one way then another. If you look hard enough, you're bound to see something. Some are more obvious though.

There's a famous one in the Steve McQueen movie 'Bullit' involving a 'here, there and everywhere' green VW beetle in a car chase in San Francisco. I've also a vague memory of somebody buttering slices of bread in some film or tv show - they must have done an entire load by the end of the scene!

Alex321

Veteran
Some of the continuity examples cited are not really continuity at all. That is, the 'that colour car wasn't around in 1965' sort of example. It's a historical accuracy type of thing that some will see, others won't. I'm in the latter category as a rule, I know sod all about sod all.

The thread title is
Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

I think the thigs you are referring to fall into the c**k ups part of it :smile:

yello

I think the thigs you are referring to fall into the c**k ups part of it :smile:

I'm not sure they fall into that category either, but then as I said it's not as if I notice such things. Is it a cock up if nobody thought it mattered?

captain nemo1701

Every episode of Thunderbirds I'm convinced they used the same film of the rockets being launched rather than the subsequent launches for the actual rescue portrayed in the episode

Watch the launch of TB1 closely. As it goes down the ramp, it reads 'Thunderbird 1' down the fuselage face on to camera. However, the next shot is from the side, and it still reads the same face-on to camera down the fuselage and neatly slots through the rocket-shaped slot. Since when did it rotate 90 degrees?. You never see that.

BTW, anyone ever spot the orange/lemon grater on the hangar set?:
TB1.jpg

Gotta love model set makers. They do put this into the CGI Thunderbirds Are Go.

Watch the launch of TB1 closely. As it goes down the ramp, it reads 'Thunderbird 1' down the fuselage face on to camera. However, the next shot is from the side, and it still reads the same face-on to camera down the fuselage and neatly slots through the rocket-shaped slot. Since when did it rotate 90 degrees?. You never see that.

BTW, anyone ever spot the orange/lemon grater on the hangar set?:
View attachment 615144
Gotta love model set makers. They do put this into the CGI Thunderbirds Are Go.
Once upon a time I was an industrial design model maker, working on Trident subs. One day I needed a certain diameter of tube. Couldn’t find any in the stores, but the roll from the toilet paper was just the right size, a bit of resin reinforcement and a quick spray of paint and there-y’-go! The UK’s nuclear deterrent is relying on a bog roll.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
This image is from Larkrise to Candleford, the BBC TV adaptation of the Flora Thompson novels, published in the 1930s but set in the 1890s. This still shot exemplifies an absolute howler that is repeated again and again in period dramas, especially Jane Austen adaptations. The error in question is the ripe wheat in the field standing at all of 35cm tall. It was well into the second half of the 20th century before such short-strawed varieties were bred. In the 1890s, English ripe wheat would have stood typically at 90–120cm tall: where else did all that lovely roofing thatch come from? Perhaps we can forgive the 3m wide vehicle tracks just visible in the crop pattern, typical of a 21st century crop sprayer. However, come on BBC producers, have you never heard of CGI — a wonderful modern invention that can put all of these things right. As it stands, this is a 21st century lass on her way to a fancy-dress rave. Now everyone else can have a go at the bicycle!

Top Bottom