Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not sure if you noticed yet, but not one of the productions quoted in this whole thread are documentaries about real life. They're all entertainment films and TV programmes.
Talk about missing the point of a thread. :rolleyes:

It is about continuity and not about historical accuracy of uniforms I think 😂

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
More recently, on "Vigil".
In episode 1 when the 2 women CID officers are in the car heading for "Faslane" (actually filmed on a disused access road at Hunterston nuclear power station, near me), all the scenes inside the car you can see it is raining heavily outside, windscreen wipers are on. But when they are filming the same scene outside the car, it's a beautiful sunny day!

Inside the car:

View attachment 614182

Outside!

View attachment 614183
Same thing happens outside the T Rex enclosure in Jurassic Park. One minute its sunny, next cars have raindrops on windows...from where?.

captain nemo1701

OK, these are in movies, but they're always on telly:okay:

One of my faves but largely down to editing:

Star Wars 4: The stormtroopers surprise Han & Co who blast out of Mos Eisley in the Millenium Falcon.

Stormtroopers enter and 'Stop that ship!'. Han blasts one of them at the rear & he begins to fall over.
Cut to Han running up ramp shooting.
Cut back to troopers, bloke at rear hasn't hit the ground
Next, cut to Han running into Falcon 'Get us out of here Chewie!'.
Cut to exterior: stormtrooper at rear is STILL falling over:blush:.

Obviously dodgy gravity on Tatooine:okay:.

For Your Eyes Only:
007 chases the assassin, who is driving a car, on foot and its night. Bond races up some steep steps, catches up with the villain and causes the car to swerve to get precariously balanced on the cliff edge - which Bond casually kicks off killing the driver. Trouble is that in the time it takes 007 to run up the steps, it goes from night to day in minutes. Quick sunrises in the Med???.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Way back, when I was a kid watching the adventures of black beauty, the titular horse threw its ride and was tacked up with a snaffle bridle that became a head collar while cantering through the woods and the saddle vanished and, by the time the horse got back home it had a saddle on again and had a kimblewick bit instead of a snaffle.

Black Beauty had a second career as a quick change artist, possibly.
How about the temporal gymnastics in Back to the Future, and the several gaping plot holes that defy the explanations given within the films themselves?

Example 1 - when Einstein is sent forwards 1 minute in time. He disappears from the timeline for a minute and then reappears; Doc Brown explains this very phenomenon to Marty. And yet, when Marty goes forward in time he somehow sees his older self - wouldn’t he have simply disappeared like Einstein did and then reappear in the future, with no other self to see since he was gone from the timeline?

Example 2 - when old Biff nicks the Delorean from the future and takes the Sports Almanac back to 1955, how is he able to then return himself and the Delorean to his original future rather than the alternate one that gets created as a consequence of the Almanac? Again, Doc Brown explains this very reason why they return to a different future from the one they left, so why not Biff?

I know it’s all sci-fi so reality can be suspended but the fact they ignore their own explanations, ones which are at the very heart of the plot, is lazy and/or ignorant writing.

Example 1 may be wrong. Marty goes into the past, but returns to 1985 (an alternate version, the mall is now 'Lone Pine Mall' plus if you look closely at the clock tower when the helicopter appears, there is a missing chunk on the parapet broken by Doc Brown when he slips on it in 1955) ten minutes early. He witnesses his younger self, not older, travel back in time and seconds later, the terrorists crash into the news stand.

Another thing to consider is the Earth moving through space. When Einstein jumps forward one minute, Doc Brown should have taken into consideration where the planet & thus mall car park will be in space one minute into the future. If he didn't, the planet will have moved but the car would re-materialise in a different location!. He would need to take into account the speed of the planet through space and also angular momentum of rotation.

I recall, maybe Judge Dredd (??), from 2000AD a story where he throws a 'time grenade' into a building where the enemy is hiding. This causes him & part of the building to be frozen in a time bubble that remains at the same spatial coordinates. He is 'unfrozen' two days later but dies since the Earth has moved on in its orbit, leaving him floating in space.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Raiders of the Lost Ark, the fist fight between Harrison Ford and Big Pat Roach...

That Horton flying wing type aircraft is slowly rotaring on the spot, driven to do so by its own propellers, but look closely and you can see chains in the undercarriage driving the wheels around.

Clifhanger, the climactic fight scene between Eric Qualen and Gabe Walker atop the helicopter hanging of the side of the ravine...

Look closely and you can see the cables at either end of the helicopter holding it to the 'cliff' wall. They're very badly hidden with tarps. Shame, because it ruins the best film in the world.

Another thing to consider is the Earth moving through space. When Einstein jumps forward one minute, Doc Brown should have taken into consideration where the planet & thus mall car park will be in space one minute into the future. If he didn't, the planet will have moved but the car would re-materialise in a different location!.

I recall, maybe Judge Dredd (??), from 2000AD a story where he throws a 'time grenade' into a building where the enemy is hiding. This causes him & part of the building to be frozen in a time bubble that remains at the same spatial coordinates. He is 'unfrozen' two days later but dies since the Earth has moved on in its orbit, leaving him floating in space.
This is sooooo wrong ...

It was in fact a Strontium Dog story(s), and the usual method was a mere two seconds transportation, which is plenty enough to put the victim in a distressing situation.

Pffft

captain nemo1701

This is sooooo wrong ...

It was in fact a Strontium Dog story(s), and the usual method was a mere two seconds transportation, which is plenty enough to put the victim in a distressing situation.

Pffft
Ah yes, the bloke with the 'eyes'...couldn't quite remember who it was, (was a long, long time ago) so sorry about that. But I do recall that story had the victim & section of the building floating in space a day or so later.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

When the Proteus is injected it's at an angle of almost 45 degrees and the cast act as if its quite steep but if you look at the walls of the hypodermic rushing by outside the windows, they are at a different angle, not matching the sub.

When Carter is briefing Grant as they drive through the CMDF secret underground HQ in the golf buggy, they keep passing wide gaps in the walls and if you look closely (or freeze the DVD), you can tell its a large outdoor space because the scenes were shot at night in a sports stadium. As they drive along, you pass the main entrances and get glimpses of the stadium interior....underground?.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Shame, because it ruins the best film in the world.
Don’t get me started on that film! It is possibly the worst offender in the oft-used ‘you can fly a helicopter with one hand’ genre. It also makes use of the very clichéd ability to arrest a fall by simply grabbing at a passing ledge.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is sooooo wrong ...

Pffft

Strontium Dog - wow! I'm more and more regretting stopping buying 2000AD some 20 years ago. Had (still have) a near complete set from before that

Top Bottom