Continuity and C**k Ups on TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Apparently in "Vigil", Paterson Joseph's submarine Commander was sold a boob by the costume department.
He goes from 3 rings (Commander) to 4 rings (Captain) and back to Commander again. Fastest promotion and demotion ever!

And a famous rank slide boob, for all you military uniform buffs out there: "Captain" Jack Harkness in Torchwood is undercover and ostensibly acting as a US Air Force Captain (so an OF-2) on exchange with the Royal Air Force. He wears the rank slides of an RAF Group Captain however (OF-5), so he's promoted himself 3 whole ranks by wearing that rank slide. I hope he's getting the equivalent pension!
Of course the TV producers will have just said... "Meh, Captain, Group Captain, they'll be equivalent I'd have thought."

Oh and his back story and that famous coat is supposed to be from WW2, but that style of greatcoat and those rank slides didn't exist in the 40s. The rank braid was sewn directly onto the sleeve cuffs then. Rank slides on shoulder tabs only came in much, much later.

Last edited:
And a famous rank slide boob, for all you military uniform buffs out there: "Captain" Jack Harkness in Torchwood is undercover and acting as a US Air Force Captain (so an OF-2) ostensibly on exchange with the Royal Air Force. He wears the rank slides of an RAF Group Captain however (OF-5), so he's promoted himself 3 levels by wearing that rank slide.
Of course the TV producers will have just said... "Meh, Captain, Group Captain, all the same thing I'd have thought."
You'll be telling me The Doctor isn't actually a doctor next ...

Here's one that always gets my goat:

First World War films. in colour. Colour?? When did colour film become widely available, eh?!?

(please don't even mention Gladiator ... )
The first Hollywood colour movie was made in 1917. Colour movie was available before but not for any practical documentary work.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Unnecessary noises:

Animals - horses always make snorting or whickering noises on TV, rarely in real life (certainly not in the context given on TV). Dogs also make whines a lot on TV, again not so much IRL.

Cars (again) - all cars make a “blip-blop” noise when being locked, although this largely went out in the 90s.

Digitals displays - always bleep as they update; timers particularly it also computer software.

Which leads us to on-screen typists, who all type without using the space bar and without looking at the keyboard. And they rarely use a mouse.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Apparently in "Vigil", Paterson Joseph's submarine Commander was sold a boob by the costume department.
He goes from 3 rings (Commander) to 4 rings (Captain) and back to Commander again. Fastest promotion and demotion ever!

And a famous rank slide boob, for all you military uniform buffs out there: "Captain" Jack Harkness in Torchwood is undercover and ostensibly acting as a US Air Force Captain (so an OF-2) on exchange with the Royal Air Force. He wears the rank slides of an RAF Group Captain however (OF-5), so he's promoted himself 3 whole ranks by wearing that rank slide. I hope he's getting the equivalent pension!
Of course the TV producers will have just said... "Meh, Captain, Group Captain, they'll be equivalent I'd have thought."

Oh and his back story and that famous coat is supposed to be from WW2, but that style of greatcoat and those rank slides didn't exist in the 40s. The rank braid was sewn directly onto the sleeve cuffs then. Rank slides on shoulder tabs only came in much, much later.

To be fair, Captain Jack is a bit of a con-man so wearing dodgy kit would seem in character. Russel T had done it on purpose I reckon

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Just as well it’s not a documentary about real life. If it was there’d be hell to,pay.

Top Bottom