Contour Roam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harveymt

I'm wanting to get a Contour Roam. Any users out there and are they happy with it? Could people confirm that it is waterproof (against rain) out of the box? It seems the camera is stuck on with adhesive pads? I'm not sure how secure that would be. The vented helmet mount seems ideal?

Crankarm

Guru
I have one, but not a Roam version, just a Contour HD1080p. Picture quality is superb and iirc the levelling thing is good. I have the helmet mount which is also good which I recall came with it.

But haven't used it for ages as I just couldn't be bothered with all the charging, downloading, uploading, editing which comes from everyday use. Admittedly it might have helped id the driver who hit and run me but really I have better things to do with my time. If I were say doing a mountain climb or descent in the Alps or riding off road down a mountain I would use it but otherwise can't be bothered. But to answer your question, yes I was happy, very happy with it. It is water resistant as far as I remember. You need the waterproof accessory case/box in which to put it to make it waterproof.

Davidsw8

Hi

The Contour Roam is indeed waterproof and fixes easily to a vented helmet with the mount (you have to be separately). I'm just used to plugging it into my work pc's usb to charge up and delete files (same when I get home), so it's no trouble. I only need to download and edit if something happens, which isn't often.

I will say though that it isn't 100% reliable, sometimes it won't record for some reason and you'll have to reset it, I'd say that happens on an average of 1 journey in 20. I don't think the usb connection in the camera is amazing either, just the slightest movement while it's plugged in and the connection is lost and you need to reattach.

Generally a good camera and has proven invaluable in the 2 accidents I've had.

crazyjoe101

I have a ROAM 2 and I am very pleased with it, it is a fit and forget device as far as the mounting is concerned. I affixed my mount with duct tape but I've heard the adhesive on the mount is strong enough.
I've never had it fail to record, however I have had issues with failure to connect to the computer but these can be resolved each time with the reset procedure laid out in the support section of the Contour website.
The 2 isn't great in the dark but you can make out what's happening, this has been improved upon quite a bit with the release of the 3.
I tend to get 3 - 3.5h of battery life using 720p @30fps and that doesn't fill my 16Gb card.
As for waterproofing, I've ridden in some pretty horrendous downpours, some of which lasted for 3+ hours and I've never seen any evidence of water ingress.
The main drawback of this camera, which is the same with many others, is the horrific wind noise. I'll be buying a product which straps to the front of the camera to alleviate this as soon as the one I'm after is back in production.

If you have any other questions I'll try and answer them from my experience with the 2.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The only thing I have against the roam is the mounting system. It's never tight (the camera slide mount), thus it introduces a fair amount of vibration into the footage. I recently got the new Shimano sport cam and it's really really good. When combined with a k-edge mount the footage is rock solid and stable.

Top Bottom