Conversion - Bolt Wheel to Quick Release

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
After experience of getting a flat, carrying a spare inner and no wrench...

Looking to convert MTB front wheels to quick release.

Easy thing to do?

QR bolts are cheap as chips, but I know you have to buy an additional part to go through the wheel.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
it's easy to do, you need a front axle (hollow) and quick release. Then completely strip the axle from the front wheel fit all the cones/washers in the right place on the new hollow one and reassemble.
Or just carry one of these.
upload_2015-4-24_17-12-51.jpeg

About £2 from any LBS

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As above, you need the hollow axle and the quick release skewer. It is fairly easy to do if you're used to working on wheel bearings but quite fiddly and will need several goes to get it right if not.

Edit: hollow front axle as an example: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheels-m...ead-quick-release-front-axle-110mm-prod17114/

I'm going to disagree with getting one of those horrid pressed steel spanners as the last time I tried to use one it ended up as an impromptu lesson in how to fix a puncture without removing the wheel.:crazy: An ordinary spanner (likely a 15mm) won't take up much room and can be obtained cheap.

Last edited:
There are a couple of standards for axle threads, so check that your existing cone and lock-nuts fit on the hollow axle.
QR are good for recreational/sport riding but an invitation to steal on a utility bike locked in a dodgier public place.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There are a couple of standards for axle threads, so check that your existing cone and lock-nuts fit on the hollow axle.
QR are good for recreational/sport riding but an invitation to steal on a utility bike locked in a dodgier public place.

If the utility bike is locked trough the wheels then they are safe.

Top Bottom