Convert 105 Roadie to Flat Bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chr15b

Über Member
Hello all!

I currently have a PX RT58 with Full 105 5800 groupset. Sadly I don't enjoy cycling it anywhere near as much as my old Ridgeback hybrid and I think the flat bars and slightly more upright riding position is the cause of this.

I'd like to consider converting the PX to a flat bar and try it out to see if I can find it more comfortable.

I'd just like to confirm my understanding of what I'd require;

Flat bars.
Compatible shifters, assuming these will do.
Brake levers... unsure what ones would be compatible.
Handlebar grips... recommendations on a good set?
Possibly a slightly longer stem.

Anything I need to be aware of before going ahead with this? If it didn't work out more comfortable for me, I'd sell the parts as used and put the drops back on...

AndyRM

XOXO
Could you not just use the flats of the bars, and ignore the drops/hoods?

You could install crosstop levers for braking, though you'd still have to move for gear changes.

The shifters are obviously ok(I presume you realise that price is for one only so that's £100),so all you'd need is a flat bar,levers and possibly new cables(mtb -style brake levers use different cables to road shifters) although I dunno if the cross in-line ones would work on thier own and take the smaller ended cables?

Actually these look like what you need and they seem to come with cables;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-r550-flat-bar-brake-levers/rp-prod34695

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Cross levers will work on their own - I use them on my fixed.
But flat bar levers aren't too expensive - those ones above ^^, or any for cantilever brakes will work. Not V-brake levers, though, as the cable travel is wrong.

e-rider

crappy member
the top tube will be too short for flat bars (hybrids have much longer top tubes) - you can correct (bodge) this with a longer stem but it will not have great handling!

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster did a flat bar conversion on a PX .
Yep, ended up way too small. I sold mine to a friend, 3 or 4 inches shorter than me and with 3cm less stem than I added (and it was still too small). Also still a fairly roadbike, i.e. more aggressive position than a hybrid

Grips, ergo GP3 if wanting bar ends or Specialized BG ergo

Personally, I wouldn't bother, try an adjustable stem with the drops?

Last edited:
Top Bottom