Convert Brompton to Recumbent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulM

Guru
My brompton doesn't get much use. Been thinking about selling it, but I have this crazy idea of turning it into a recumbent. It has the SA 8 speed upgrade and with it's rear suspension I think it would make a fun 'bent.

I'm not worried about keeping the fold, so really just after brazing on a boom and having a seat mount and seat with a couple of inches fore/aft adjustment. I might ask Kinetics for a quote. I think the bike pictured belongs to Mary Arneson, see BROL thread http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=76250

DSCN1535.jpg

That's brilliant. There used to be a chap in the BHPVC that converted a Bickerton thus. It still creaked..

This sort of thing begs for a folding bodyshell. Perhaps inflatable.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
It's said the kit was discontinued because Brompton changed the design in a way which made a stock of recently inventoried kit parts incompatible..

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There is one around that retains the fold. Obviously with the seat, it's bulkier, but I can't see why you would use a Brompton if you're going to lose the ability to fold it.

OP
OP
P

PaulM

Guru
It was a semi-serious idle thought about what to do with a little used Brompton. It would probably be more sensible to sell it and buy an Azub Origami. A car bootable bent would be of use, so a Grasshopper or Toxy Flite are other options. I think I can get my 20/20 Metabikes in the back of the car, so that's my current plan. At the moment it's work in progress as I've been fitting a suspension fork and need to sort out the chain routing. Christmas has got in the way :rolleyes:

starhawk

I tend to agree with voyager and Trikeman, why keep the Brompton and convert it when you can sell it and get a decent bent? there are lots of bents with suspension nowadays, and it would be much more stable and lighter without all that coupling material

It is a Julian Neuss conversion

PA040036.jpg

PA040039.jpg

PA040038.jpg

This one was in Fareham

I also met the designer at the Brompton event last year at Goodwood

It is no longer in production

Top Bottom