Convert to SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brockers

You guys use big gears! I'm presently on 42x16 which is ok around the lumpy part of SE London where I lurk. It's also the 'magic gear' for my old Peugeot frame, i.e., there's no chain slack and I don't need a half link. But if I go further out into Kent, I find the North Downs impossible in this high a gear, and I find I need 42x18. And I'm somebody who would be considered a climber !

Ibbots

The skid patches calculator on 3narf's link is really interesting - I see I have managed to achieve about the worst combination. Not sure about the gear calculator though, results seem a little high but I can't see that they state tyre size. Assuming this works...I downloaded the attached spreadsheet from somewhere, find it useful - especially as you can enter tyre size rather than overall wheel diameter.

Ibbots

I can't quite see how they're calculating them, but the values are coming out about 20% too low.

20% margin of error would mean I'm pushing 84" up the hill home - hooray. In the version I saved I set it up for a 23 tyre. Click on the 27" tab which might give you figures you expected to see or scroll up the first tab and mess with the tyre size?

brockers

Even a cursory glance shows it's all to cock. For instance a 30T chainwheel with a 30T sprocket on a 27'' wheel should read 27. This table gives 23. My winter gear of 42x18 on 700c wheels is usually 63 inches. This spreadsheet gives 50.

Ibbots

Even a cursory glance shows it's all to cock. For instance a 30T chainwheel with a 30T sprocket on a 27'' wheel should read 27. This table gives 23. My winter gear of 42x18 on 700c wheels is usually 63 inches. This spreadsheet gives 50.

Clearly that's wrong and I thought at first perhaps you had clicked on one of the other tabs but can't find a match for the figures you quote. Not sure what's going on because on my version I get the figures you are expecting on the 27" tab and slightly lower on the Custom tab because of the tyre size I have put in. Even when I download it from here the figures are right.

If it's still all wrong on the 27" tab I can only think something weird happened with the download but can't imagine what. Bin it if it's cocked, there's plenty of others knocking about.

Top Bottom