Converting an 8 speed flat bar triple to 9 speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
What is involved?

I have a flat bar road hybrid with a triple chainring, 8 speed rear cassette, set up. The front (Nexave) shifter is knackered, and having got used to a compact set up on my road bike, I'd prefer smaller jumps between gears than with the current 8 speed set up. I saw a 9 speed bike with flat bars today, and wondered how much is involved to converting to 9 speed. My existing cassette is pretty worn anyway and will need replacing soon.

I happened upon these shifters (Shimano Deore 590) earlier. Is it too much to expect that you could just unbolt the Nexave shifters and bolt on the Deore ones, replace the cassette and chain, tweak the adjustment, and get back on the road?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You'll need a new derailleur and chain too.
To be honest, the jumps between the gears aren't all that much smaller than 8 speed.
I made the jump from 8 speed to 9 speed a few months ago.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You do not necessarily need a new rear derailleur. The derailleur does not know what speed it is, the amount the cable is pulled determines that, and that is determined by the gear lever. You can get replacement jockey wheels for narrower 9 speed chains. You may need a replacement front derailleur if the narrower chain does not shift well.

gbb

Legendary Member
Are you sure the rear cluster is a cassette and not a freewheel ?
8 speed freewheels aren't that common but I had a bike with one on. If it is a freewheel, you have one more problem to solve.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What is involved?

I happened upon these shifters (Shimano Deore 590) earlier. Is it too much to expect that you could just unbolt the Nexave shifters and bolt on the Deore ones, replace the cassette and chain, tweak the adjustment, and get back on the road?
That's pretty much it.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Are you sure the rear cluster is a cassette and not a freewheel ?
8 speed freewheels aren't that common but I had a bike with one on. If it is a freewheel, you have one more problem to solve.

No, I'm not sure. I'm in my nearest bike shop today anyway, so I'll ask them............but I think it's a cassette.

si_c

Guru
No, I'm not sure. I'm in my nearest bike shop today anyway, so I'll ask them............but I think it's a cassette.
There's a relatively easy way to check without taking the wheel off - look at the hub body between the spokes - it it's smooth and looks like the front hub, then it's a freewheel. If it gets thicker on the right hand side compared to the left hand side then it's a cassette.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
It's a cassette.

And my LBC confirmed that I can fit a 9 speed in place of 8, and they're checking on 10. The derailleurs can stay, the chainrings can stay. About £100 for components gets me back on the road with 27 or 30 gears (well, apart from the ones you can't use and the ones that are the same, you know).

Top Bottom