Converting an old road bike to Hybrid.... Tyre Size question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll explain my thinking.... I need a hybrid/MTB for gentle trail riding riding with little-un rather than buying a cheap B.S.O or a entry level Cube or Giant MTB (I would like to do this option but Mrs V has made it very clear it ain't happening) and I would have to buy another shed, I'm considering converting my Viking which has languished pretty much unused since my Defy arrived.

So I was going to put fatter tyres and flat bars on it to create a usable hybrid. Using second hand bars and shifters off ebay and new tyres, chain and cassette I could convert the bike into a usable light(ish) hybrid that would cost £200 plus new for about £50 and I would bring back an old friend into regular weekend family time use.... I can do it gradually starting with the tyres

I can either use the Defy wheels (I've upgraded em) or the original Viking wheels both are deep rim the Defy ran A 700 x 25c, The viking 700 x 23c

I reckon I could go 28c but what about a 32c would it stay on the rim and would it clear the road caliper? and would either of the wheel stand up to gentle off road riding....

What are peoples thoughts

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would have thought 28c might just about fit but 32c is a size too far! Clearance is the problem. Might be an expensive exercise.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I was thinking 28c myself but with a decent tread pattern rather than slicks.... My thinking is using second hand bars and shifters it may just be economical. rather that buying something new as the bike is probably only worth £50 itself and the sora 7 speed brifters may fetch some money back because they are quite sort after...

and I can do it gradually rather than shelling all the money out at once on a new hybrid (and annoying Mrs V)

OP
OP
simon the viking
I was going to leave it on 7 speed for compatibility with rear mech, If I go for the GIANT wheels I'll need a new splined cassette and chain which are available for about £15 together of wiggle If I use the Viking wheels I've got the original chain and screw-on freewheel but tbh could probably do with a new one anyway as chain seemed to slip a bit last time I used it. Both wheels could do with stripping and new bearings.... So will probably use the Giants for 'cool factor' (they have a slight problem with the freewheel hub but with regular greasing they are okay and it will get limited use anyway) so I reckon cheap tyres a chain and cassette I'm looking at 30 quid to start it off then get bars and shifters when I spot a bargain (worst case cheap new bars and twist grips (Uggghhh)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was going to leave it on 7 speed for compatibility with rear mech, If I go for the GIANT wheels I'll need a new splined cassette and chain which are available for about £15 together of wiggle If I use the Viking wheels I've got the original chain and screw-on freewheel but tbh could probably do with a new one anyway as chain seemed to slip a bit last time I used it. Both wheels could do with stripping and new bearings.... So will probably use the Giants for 'cool factor' (they have a slight problem with the freewheel hub but with regular greasing they are okay and it will get limited use anyway) so I reckon cheap tyres a chain and cassette I'm looking at 30 quid to start it off then get bars and shifters when I spot a bargain (worst case cheap new bars and twist grips (Uggghhh)
Twist grips :cursing: don't go there. you'd be better off gripping the changer cable in yer teeth (probably index better too)

OP
OP
simon the viking
Twist grips :cursing: don't go there. you'd be better off gripping the changer cable in yer teeth (probably index better too)

They would be worse case scenario I hate them to, but if I had to buy combined brake levers and gear levers new at about 30 quid that would be where it becomes uneconomical. I could use the original butterfly levers but I fitted em to Mrs V's bike a while back (and she thinks their fab).
Bar end shifters may be an option though.....

Top Bottom