Converting Dropped handlebar bike to Flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,
I currently have a dropped handlebar bike with GRX810 2x11 drivetrain, but I'm looking to convert to flat bar bike. Is it possible to do so by keeping my GRX810 drivetrain? In terms of brakes I understand that I would need to put the new set if brakes but what about the shifters? What shifters for flat bar bikes are compatible with GRX810 2x11? Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
Just be aware, depending on the geometry…You may find it’s too small or you’ll need a new longer stem so check the measurements against an equivalent flatbar that you know will fit.
You’ll need brakes, shifters, cables, a handlebar, grips, and quite possibly a stem at the very least. Possibly chain, cassette if well worn.

If the parts are expensive (and you would pay someone to do the work), you may find it better to sell and start afresh with a flatbar.
Evans for example are selling off some of the Whyte R7 range with big discounts

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are your brakes cable or hydraulic? Not aware of any hydraulic brake 2x11 integrated but Shimano do SL-RS 700 for flat bar cable 2x11 for about £80. You could use separate levers and shifters.
You might need to change stem.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Funnily enough my son asked me about this very same idea.I told him to go to a shop.I bet it will be close on 70-80 quid.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Chances are the cable pull ratio for the gears will screw you as it'll be different between the (essentially) road and MTB bits. Plus, binning off drops with GRX shifters for a flat bar setup is just outright criminal tbh :tongue:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'll give you £10 for your old bars and shifters. :laugh:

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but having done this in reverse I'd hang on to the drop bar parts in case you want to change back or sell the bike.

Gillstay

Über Member
I did it on a BSA Tour de France 20 years ago and it made a very comfortable bike that i did many miles on. Did it on a Galaxy and it did not work as well and one modern one I did ended up very twitchy. So it will be interesting and I think only after doing it will you know if its a success.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's always a bit of a lottery doing this, sometimes it works sometimes not. As a rule of thumb if the bike has flat or drops as OE it's usually best left that way. This is a Specialized AWOL I converted to drops a few years back. I got it with flat bars but it originally had drops. Worked okay with flat probably due to the long wheelbase.
IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom