Converting from Dropbars to Straight - Worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

I always thought I wanted a road bike, I finally got one to test the concept out, Turns out I don't like road bikes at all since I barely ever drive on tarmac and I don't like at all the position when using the bike.. I like the bike itself, it's rather light and nimble, however... the gear changes /brakes/position= sucks so bad :sad:

I got the bike for £26 it was in fairly good shape however the components on it are just super basic- however all works and gears shift just fine.
I ''think'' I want a Hybrid bike now , to have something as light/nimble as a road bike but still fairly fast.
I had my eyes on Boardman Hybrid team ( roughly £250 for a good used one)..However I don't really want to spend any money now since I already got 2 bikes ( this one and a MTB) .. Or I could just convert this road bike to a hybrid myself?

So the plan was to take this bike and convert it to flat bars + new brake levers/gears + new tyres+ some new cables,new brake pads,new pedals.

-Is this a good idea to drop money on such a basic ''crap'' bike and try to convert it in something I can use? (we are talking about probably £40 investment) Or I should just sell it on and buy another bike which has much better stuff on it?
-What else do I need to convert it to a flat bar?
I will get a flat bar itself and this shimano ST-EF51 brake/shifter set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-...4?hash=item5d6235d85e:g:OQUAAOSwhcJWPh0p#rwid

I might need some new cables , what else ?

OP
OP
I

itaa

pics of the bike

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Airlite is not a bad bike so I would have thought you might convert it.

The shifters you featured would work but as it’s for a MTB the chainwheel shifter is likely be for a triple but you might be able to bodge it so it works.

Good luck with it.

Sharky

Guru
It's a nice looking bike. I would persevere a little longer with the drops before going to the expense of changing them. One thing I notice is that the brake levers look to be a little too low on the bars. I prefer mine so that the brake levers are a continuation of the initial top bend of the bars. This might give a more comfortable hand position and make it easier to brake from the top of the hoods. Try removing the handlebar tape and moving the levers up about 2 or 3cm's.

Try pointing the flat bit on the bottom of the drops at the back axle.
This will left the brake levers up and level the top of the drops.

The trouble with doing a straight swap of drops to flats is it will bring your hands closer to your body. This will sit you more upright. So you may need a longer headset stem to get you back to the correct reach.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I always thought I wanted a road bike, I finally got one to test the concept out, Turns out I don't like road bikes at all since I barely ever drive on tarmac and I don't like at all the position when using the bike.

I'm not surprised you don't like the riding position. The bars are set way too low in relation to the height of the saddle.
Take a look at Raleighnut's pictures for how relative bar/saddle heights should be set.

You seem to be suffering some confusion as to exactly what a hybrid bike is. It's not a flat bar road bike. A hybrid is a halfway house between a rigid MTB and a light and skinny road bike. That means it will have fairly relaxed geometry, sturdy wheels, and enough frame clearance to fit sensible section width tyres and mudguards. You are NOT going to end up with any sort of hybrid bike simply by fitting flat bars to what you have got. As already mentioned the Raleigh road frame geometry will have been designed for drop bars and if you just fit flat ones it's likely to not fit you very well afterwards.
Rather than spend time and money messing about, it would seem to make a lot more sense just to go out and buy a bargain secondhand hybrid that is already designed to do the job just how it comes. I've never understood the mentality of cyclists who buy a totally unsuitable machine, then spend a load of money changing half the components - rather than buy the right sort of bike to begin with. If the swap components had come off a skip bike and were FOC I could see some logic, but spending money trying to change a road bike into something it's not ever going to be, seems totally pointless.

Jason

I would fit a riser stem and lift the bars up a bit, also remove tape, and move the brifters up in line with the top of the bar (as already suggested). Road bike handlebars offer more hand positions than a flat bar, and with the right adjustments are just as practical as a flat bar.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm not surprised you don't like the riding position. The bars are set way too low in relation to the height of the saddle.
Take a look at Raleighnut's pictures for how relative bar/saddle heights should be set.

You seem to be suffering some confusion as to exactly what a hybrid bike is. It's not a flat bar road bike. A hybrid is a halfway house between a rigid MTB and a light and skinny road bike. That means it will have fairly relaxed geometry, sturdy wheels, and enough frame clearance to fit sensible section width tyres and mudguards. You are NOT going to end up with any sort of hybrid bike simply by fitting flat bars to what you have got. As already mentioned the Raleigh road frame geometry will have been designed for drop bars and if you just fit flat ones it's likely to not fit you very well afterwards.
Rather than spend time and money messing about, it would seem to make a lot more sense just to go out and buy a bargain secondhand hybrid that is already designed to do the job just how it comes. I've never understood the mentality of cyclists who buy a totally unsuitable machine, then spend a load of money changing half the components - rather than buy the right sort of bike to begin with. If the swap components had come off a skip bike and were FOC I could see some logic, but spending money trying to change a road bike into something it's not ever going to be, seems totally pointless.

It could the frame is too small for him hence the bars/saddle relationship. (What’s yours inside leg measurement @itaa ?)

Some hybrids are almost a drop bar bike with narrow fast tyres and similar geometry to a road bike, there are many variations on the theme. If the OP wants to convert to flat it’s likely he’ll need to tune the riding position but if it’s too small he might be wasting his time. I’d go with advice of persevering with drop bars after some alterations as suggested.

Top Bottom