Converting Microshift to Shimano?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muzturd

I have a 3x9 MTB with Microshift derailleurs and shifters and was looking to upgrade to Shimano Derailleurs. Can I just replace the derailleur or do i need to buy new shifters as well? Will there be any compatibility issues using microshift shifters and shimano derailleur?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable - you will need 9speed rear mech to be safe.

OP
OP
M

Muzturd

So procedure would be buy the part, remove the older one, install new one, make adjustments and im good to go? Thanks fossyant!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes Microshift is Shimano compatible - so shimano 9 spd components will mix and match with them...

I would question what you are hoping to achieve from the change though? microshift stuff, whilst cheaper than such as Shimano Deore etc is pretty decent stuff operationally and indeed better than some of the lower end shimano stuff. Just because Decathlon bikes favour it, don't dismiss it.

albeit on a road / gravel bike, I replaced some worn out shimano stuff with microshift (mainly a priced based decision, plus they did drop bar shifter for small hands) and was pleasently suprised by the quality.

OP
OP
M

Muzturd

Yes Microshift is Shimano compatible - so shimano 9 spd components will mix and match with them...

I would question what you are hoping to achieve from the change though? microshift stuff, whilst cheaper than such as Shimano Deore etc is pretty decent stuff operationally and indeed better than some of the lower end shimano stuff. Just because Decathlon bikes favour it, don't dismiss it.

albeit on a road / gravel bike, I replaced some worn out shimano stuff with microshift (mainly a priced based decision, plus they did drop bar shifter for small hands) and was pleasently suprised by the quality.
Im skeptical of the microshift derailleurs because apparently mine uses microshift m21 9 speed rear mech(thats what the bike shop guy told me), while the microshift website shows m21 only for 6 & 7speed.

And you said Microshift is better than some of Shimano's lower end stuff? How does Microshift's Marvo compare to Shimano's Acera or Alivio? Do you have any idea?

OP
OP
M

Muzturd

Here's a picture of the rear derailleur. Forgot to add this with the previous post.

Attachments

• IMG-20210806-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20210806-WA0014.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 82

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Pretty much equivalent to acera alivio. If it's working fine, just leave it as it and save your money.

If you want to upgrade, have a look at Sensah. I’ve heard it was developed from some ex Sram guys. Trace Velo on YouTube uses the road version and seems to be happy with them.

OP
OP
M

Muzturd

If you want to upgrade, have a look at Sensah. I’ve heard it was developed from some ex Sram guys. Trace Velo on YouTube uses the road version and seems to be happy with them.
I dont think i cant find that where i live. Thanks for the suggestion tho :smile:

Pretty much equivalent to acera alivio. If it's working fine, just leave it as it and save your money.
Alright, i think ill let it be for now until ot really atarts giving me problems. Thank you for the help :biggrin:

Interesting.
And Alivio stuff is pretty good for general cycling - nothing much wrong with it in my experience.
(though I do like old super tough XT mechs)

Top Bottom