Converting MTB to Full-On Expedition Tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I do like that, looks like it was built that way rather than just thrown together as an afterthought if you see what I mean. Is that a Reynolds tubing sticker I can see?? Seems odd that it's welded if so, rather than brazed. My Reynolds frames are all lugged.

What's that front rack?

Drago

Legendary Member
I couldnt say. Twas from my Box O' S***e, though I don't think it was anything too flash or expensive. The rear box is on a Tortec rack. The box is on fittings that detach with a 1/4 turn anti clockwise so I can use panniers if preferred, although the box is very convenient for casual bimbling. Lumotec lights front and rear. Bars and stem were from my Giant Trance X. Bottle cages are Blackburn jobs, cheap but sturdy. Chainset of an olde Carrara. Wheels off my old Marin, but weren't original to that bike. SKS guards. Charge Bucket and Spud 520s from the box. Shimano canti's up front, Suntour self energising canti's up the arse end which work brilliantly (don't know why they didn't catch on), all from the box. Sturmey Archer brake levers from the box - huge things, but great for grabbing a firm handful. Deore thumb shifters from the box, NOS, would be been worth a few quid if I'd ebayed them!

The Reynolds sticker is from the box, acquired for a Raleigh MTB resto years ago that I never got round to - it's actually double butted 4130. I shouldn't really have stuck it on, but what the Hell - 4130 decals are getting bloody expensive!

400mm seat post was purchased to spread the load and reduce the leverage at the seat tube/cross bar junction. I'm a heavy chap, and don't want to crack the frame. It was a no name unbranded alloy job, chosen in black to match the powder coat.

It's not light, in large part down to the heavy wheels, but all the racks and guards don't help. It is all day comfortable, and handles roads with as much aplomb as it does trails. I'm still in the honeymoon period with it, but it's already working its way into my affections.

Most of the bits are from bikes I've upgraded over the years, and chucked the original parts in the box. Other parts are from bikes I've broken. In all the build cost me in the region of a hundred quid, plus 30 years of parts hoarding ;)

Last edited:

That's a fine looking bike! Well done!

I'm a fan of converting an old MTB to a tourer - I've done it myself.

For me, the main advantage was that it forced me to develop mechanical skills and to understand how a bike worked - a handy set of skills to have when on tour. From someone who struggled to replace a tube, I can now disassemble the whole bike and put it back together - and it works!! ^_^

Cost-wise, it can work out as expensive or cheap as you like. But you select your own components according to your needs, in comparison to taking whatever is on an off-the-shelf bike. And of course, it can be done incrementally to match a budget.
And, since I can now do most of the maintenance myself, there's a long term cost saving too.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Very nicely done rig there Drago :smile:

@SkipdiverJohn Renolds make the tubesets but it's the frame maker that decides how they are joined. My 725 frame is TIG welded.

@Drago if memory serves, there were fears about SE brakes being so powerful that the self energising action could throw a rider over the bars and so their use as front brakes was discontinued.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of us have still got 90s mtn bikes which we use as tourers. Retired from mtn biking because today's mtn bikes do the job far better.

Some of us still use our 90's MTB's, despite my new one being much better over the boulders. The old bikes are good at general XC and for getting filthy more often, and not getting the rather expensive suspension covered in filth every ride.

My Diamond Back has front and rear pannier and guard mounts, so they would certainly make good 'world tourers'.

Top Bottom