Converting my bike to fixed - Component advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

Taba said:
Ok, decided to build a fixie from scratch on the cheap. Try and keep my old bike going whilst im at it, I don't think I could live without a bike for more than a couple of days as I cycle everywhere and cry if I have to pay for a bus.

I suppose if I'm looking for something like this to get started?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200355782885

I think 103 = carbolite = really quite low grade steel. Look for a 501 or better yet a 531 frame, it'll be a bit lighter and nicer.

A trip to your local recycling centre or dump might be worthwhile. It's amazing what people throw away.

Matthew

RedBike

Building a bike up from indivivual parts always works out very expensive. By the time you've brought everything you need for that frame you're probably looking at the best part of £200.
Saddle, £20
Seat post £10
Brakes £10
Cables £10
Chain £10
Sprockets £25
Bars £20
Bar tape £10
Tyres £30
Tubes £10
Wheels £100 ?

Sadly as that 103 frame was cheap rubbish in it's day it's simply not worth spending that sort of money on.

If you want to do this on the cheap buy a complete bike for £30 or so and convert that. If you want quality buy a second-hand 'track' bike, £200?

The most expensive item(s) are probably the wheels. Assuming you go down the route of proper track wheels you'll easily be looking at over the £100 mark. Then you'll need a new axle/spacers to get them to fit a 130mm spaced frame (track wheels are120mm). Re-dishing/spacing road wheels isn't an easy task and they're not ideally suited to being used fixed wheel.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You can get front and rear wheels from planet x for like £99.
Sprocket from planet x, £14.99
Your crankset might be alot though, about £50.
You can get alot of stuff second hand pretty cheap though.........

Joe24

Using road wheels as fixed is fine, aslong as they arent crappy wheels.
I never re-dished mine on my cheap fixed either, just oiled up where the spokes cross each other so they dont make a noise.
You may find that if you have a 130mm frame, and 120mm hubs, then some of the axles arent long enough to space up, so you have to put smaller spacers on and bring the drop outs in when you put the nuts on.

Tel

Veteran
Taba said:
I had thought about this before I set my heart on going fixed. It would be alot better than the mess I have right now. The brakes levers I have are combined with the gear levers, which would be a bit messy and extra weight, but I guess they would still work... Seems like a half-way job though.

You're right so to do a full-way job you would replace your STI levers with standard old school aero brake levers, get a single speed converter for your freehub plus a new chain and a chain tensioner.

That'll probably set you back about £65'ish. Which is probably about the same as what you'll get for selling your front & rear mech and your STI levers. You'll get the tidyness of the fixed plus the weight savings. Jobs a good un :smile:

OP
OP
T

Taba

Just going SS is I suppose the sensible thing to do for now, I really do like my bike... and if I find that I am a total wuss and miss having gears then I havent gone and wasted a ton of money.

You really think I could get £65 for my old gears and levers? Also where is the best place to sell bike parts, ebay or on forums or what?

They are Shimano Sora Flight deck triples. Fairly scratched but working perfectly...

Also I suppose I can re-use the brakes with different levers, or would it be best to sell them inclusive with the gears in a package to get the best price, and pick up some new brakes?

Joe24

Taba said:
Just going SS is I suppose the sensible thing to do for now, I really do like my bike... and if I find that I am a total wuss and miss having gears then I havent gone and wasted a ton of money.

You really think I could get £65 for my old gears and levers? Also where is the best place to sell bike parts, ebay or on forums or what?

They are Shimano Sora Flight deck triples. Fairly scratched but working perfectly...

Also I suppose I can re-use the brakes with different levers, or would it be best to sell them inclusive with the gears in a package to get the best price, and pick up some new brakes?

Sell the gear levers and gears seperatly.
Keep your brakes and just use those with different levers.
Sell them on forums, or on ebay. Might get someone pay more on ebay then a forum, never know though.
Of, if your going to go single, just put your bike in one gear and leave it there? It will just be the same as singlespeed and will save you more money.
You can take off the front mech, and fiddle with the stops on the rear mech so it just stays in one gear so it wont move.
Singlespeed on the cheap.

OP
OP
T

Taba

Joe24 said:
just put your bike in one gear and leave it there?

Thats pretty much what I am doing right now to avoid crunching sounds! Decided enough was enough with that setup, so as soon as I get settled after moving I will commence operation single speed!

Cheers for all the advice guys, been really helpful. xxxxx :biggrin:

RedBike

The Sora mechs aren't worth a lot of money. You might get £10/£15 for the rear mech, a £5 for the front. At least this will pay for a chain tensioner!

STI levers are valuable, You can probably get £30/£50 for them
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=Sora+sti&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Top Bottom