Convinced it was my Garmin 1030 mount rattling, but.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
First let me explain the current set up, I have a LifeLine Garmin stem mount with a Exposure Trace front light mounted directly underneath it in its own little Exposure cradle. Up top, I have a Garmin 1030 which has a Dog Ears repair tab fitted to it as one on the OEM lugs broke off a while ago. I have had set up for quite a while and its worked really well with no issues at all.

However, over the last few weeks "something" has started to rattle when riding on a certain road surface?

When I clasped the Garmin the rattle would stop, which made me conclude that it was the Dog Ear to LifeLine inferface. With that assumption, I decided that I needed to remove some of the free play between the two faces. I cut a small square of insulating tap and stuck it in the inside of the LifeLine mount, then attached the Garmin. Solid as a rock, thats it I thought no more rattling.

Went out on bike the next day, rattling still there?

So added a further piece of tape to the underside of the Dog Ear repair mount and clipped to the two items together, really very tight to assemble but if it stopped the rattling, so be it!

Next day, out on bike and guess what the rattling was still there?

Once again, every time I cusped the Garmin it would stop?

Its been like this for quite a few days and in truth I was doing my best to try and ignore it and just accept it.

On Saturday a group of us were out and I hit a pothole and the resulting shock wave caused the plastic LifeLine insert to break and fling my Garmin in the air. Thankfully, the little lanyard saved it from dropping on the road. One of the lads in the group had an elastic band in his pocket, so this was wrapped around the Garmin and the light underneath to keep the Garmin in situ as a temporary fix. Carried on with the ride and no rattle?

So prehaps the answer is to keep an elastic band wrapped around it then, not ideal, but I dont care now.

But I replaced the elastic band with a Garmin silicon band wrapped around the bracket and the Garmin, but not around the light.

Went out and would you believe its still rattling FFS? Thinking it's because there is not enough tension on the silicion band, I now pull it over the light as well to add even more tension. Carried on with the ride and the rattling has got less...... :ohmy:

So now my attention turns to the actual light. I removed silicon band from around the Garmin and just wrapped it around the bracket and the light. Definite improvement but its still there? Tried several ways to wrap the light and bracket, all of which little to no difference?

Got home, removed the light from the bike and just stared at it.

EXPTRACE2DBGMB (1).jpg

What can rattle in such a tiny thing, I shook it in all manner of different directions and nothing?

Then I held the end and flicked the lense with my finger.....hang on, what was that, was that a faint rattle I heard?

Unscrewed the lense and removed the tiny battery that once upon a time had piece of grey foam wrapped around it to stop it from rattling. This had now broken up and was effectively doing absolutely nothing at all! Wrapped some insulation tape around the battery to give it a snug fit in the chamber and reassembled the light.

Replaced the plastic LifeLine insert, removed any traces of insulation tape and the silicon band, went out for ride.....bliss :notworthy:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If only all bike related problems could be solved so easily!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Its back, dam and blast it.........:banghead: Despite wrapping insulation tape around the battery something is still rattling, so then I thought it was the lense on the light rattling? Took the light apart again and added a small piece of sponge between the lense and the top of the battery.

Road tested.....(note: it has to be a certain type of road surface for it to do it) still rattling?

Removed the light and put in my back pocket and the rattling stops, which is why I have pursued with looking at the light. But if I hold the Garmin the rattling stops? But there is simply no play between the Garmin mount and mounting bracket?

Remove the Garmin, and no rattle.

Add the Garmin and the light...hey presto, rattle :cursing:

So yesterday, I was hell bent on trying to get to the bottom of it. The upshot being, I've now come to the conclusion that by adding the light (despite how small it is) on the underside of the Lifeline bracket it is upsetting the balance of the mount and its setting up some form of resonance which is resulting in the very slight (but very annoying) vibration?

Remove the light, no vibration/rattle. Refit the light and ride the same section of road and its back, but just lightly touching the end of the Garmin you can feel it vibrating, thus causing the very minor rattle.

In the end, the only way I could fix it was by wedging a small piece of stick between the Garmin and the mounting bracket to stop the dam thing from rattling!

Needless to say, the Lifeline bracket has now been removed and Ive gone back to the Garmin OEM stem mounted plastic mount thats held on with O rings.

Lifeline.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Stupid idea, feel free to ignore; Stretch an elastic band around both Garmin and light. This may mess up the the resonant frequencies.

Top Bottom