Cooking rice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My rule is the same depth of water above the rice as depth of dry rice; no pre-wash.

my rule is the same, but i do give it a rinse.

No wash. Cook in plenty (about a litre) of water, with stock added, for 10 mins. We have a portion sized scoop so no over quantity. Drain and rest for 5 mins. Lovely free flowing, i.e. not sticky. Always use Basmati here unless making risotto, then use Arborio

edited for punctuation

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To tip for making fried rice.
If you don't have any left over or dry cooked rice.
Add a bit oil to your uncooked rice in the pan and stir it over a low heat for about 5 mins. Add water and cook. Continue as usual with your friend rice recipe.
Result,: Separate grains that won't stick.

the snail

Guru
Does anyone 'wash' rice before cooking? I did it for the first time in a long time tonight and it does seem to result in more separate grains and a better taste.

I always used to, then I read St. Delia's advice that it is a waste of time, and I agree with that. I put a drop of oil and a pinch of salt, and 2x weight of water and cook til absorbed, perfect every time. Delia is always right!

newts

Veteran
Nasei Goreng is a much tastier dish with rice that was cooked the day before, as are most fried rice dishes. The rice is too mushy if cooked fresh & then fried for these dishes.

PK99

Legendary Member
I always used to, then I read St. Delia's advice that it is a waste of time, and I agree with that. I put a drop of oil and a pinch of salt, and 2x weight of water and cook til absorbed, perfect every time. Delia is always right!

The aims are similar.
Wash off the starch vs seal the starch by oiling. Both avoid a starch soup.
In neither method stir.

For Risotto stir to make a starch soup.
For Paella the trad. method mirrors Delia.

I'll try the two side by side and compare.

Top Bottom