Cooking rice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
before my wife sees it and rolls her eyes!

Mine has one independently raising eyebrow combined with wide open eyes. Much more effective a put down than a simple eye roll.

presta

Guru
Fill the pan with boiling water, put brown rice in, skim off the scum, simmer it 30 mins, drain it, eat it.

Unless I'm cooking paella/biryani/jambalaya, in which case I put the paella rice in the pan with all the other ingredients and a measured amount of water, then simmer it until the water is absorbed.

PK99

Legendary Member
Perfectly okay if kept in the fridge for a few days, cooking would kill any bacteria anyway. Used it like that many times and haven't had any projectile vomiting or praying to the porcelain idol to date.

Not so.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...can get food,been stored before it's reheated.

The issue is not just bacteria but the toxins produced by the bacteria. My understanding is that the toxins produced by the specific rice-spoiling are heat stable, and not destroyed by heat.

Not so.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/#:~:text=Yes, you can get food,been stored before it's reheated.

The issue is not just bacteria but the toxins produced by the bacteria. My understanding is that the toxins produced by the specific rice-spoiling are heat stable, and not destroyed by heat.

IMHO there's a certain amount of arse-covering to take into account people's lack of basic kitchen skills. And lack of basic common sense.

Leftover rice is great for things like egg fried rice or nasi goreng. But only reheat the once.

PK99

Legendary Member
IMHO there's a certain amount of arse-covering to take into account people's lack of basic kitchen skills. And lack of basic common sense.

Leftover rice is great for things like egg fried rice or nasi goreng. But only reheat the once.

Well I'm still here to tell the tale @PK99 You just have to use your noddle. I hate wasting good food so shall continue despite your dire warning.

You both miss the point.... that toxins produced by the specific rice-spoiling bacteria are hazardous and heat stable. The key point is rapid cooling and fidge storage.

I regularly use reheated rice. But I am very careful about colling and storage.

Also, the "I do this and I'm still alive" argument is a logical fallacy as no one us here to say "I did this and I am dead"

You both miss the point.... that toxins produced by the specific rice-spoiling bacteria are hazardous and heat stable. The key point is rapid cooling and fidge storage.

I regularly use reheated rice. But I am very careful about colling and storage.

Also, the "I do this and I'm still alive" argument is a logical fallacy as no one us here to say "I did this and I am dead"

No, I'm not missing the point. I *did* mention about using common sense and likewise, I *did* mention basic kitchen skills / knowhow, which is what your argument about the proper cooling and storage of food falls under.

Before I met my wife I always used to cook rice first and when it was ready I used to drain it then pour loads of cold water over it to stop it cooking

Then, when I was ready I would take out what I needed and reheat it by pouring boiling water over it
The rest went in the fridge and was used the next day

Never seemed to make me sick - but the received wisdom nowadays seems to be not to store it more than an hour or so - certainly not overnight etc

gbb

Legendary Member
I always wash rice pre cooking. I always non stop monitor it as it reaches the cooked point, to overdo it by a few minutes ruins it.
Rice is really easy with preparation and watching.
Don't prepare and just let it bubble away is a recipe for failure...ask my wife 😉

Alex321

Veteran
Not so.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/#:~:text=Yes, you can get food,been stored before it's reheated.

I've heard similar many times, but have eaten rice several days after cooking on a regular basis throughout my 64 years of life, without ever having a problem. I never do so if there is any visible sign of anything growing on it.

I've only ever had food poisoning twice, and both of those were caused by dodgy seafood from restaurants when away from home (One in London, one in Italy).

Top Bottom