Coolest budget sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I'm a fan of the Bollé range, but treated myself to a pair of Zero rh+ sunglasses for £14.99 in TKMaxx, down from a claimed £129. All I need is some sunshine...

+1 for tk maxx, rare find but gems to be had, got my smith glasses there cheapest online price was £77, paid £20

Star Strider

Aldi polarised "fishing" glasses.

They were but a quid in the clearance bin.

Beware of cheap sunglasses of unknown origin. Some block visible light effectively by let in UV light. This means damage to your cornea, and because of the drop in visible light, your pupils will dilate, letting more UV radiation on retina. This can cause all sorts of degenerative problems in the future. In terms of eye care, these sort of glasses would be worse than none at all.

Star Strider

Beware of cheap sunglasses of unknown origin. Some block visible light effectively by let in UV light. This means damage to your cornea, and because of the drop in visible light, your pupils will dilate, letting more UV radiation on retina. This can cause all sorts of degenerative problems in the future. In terms of eye care, these sort of glasses would be worse than none at all.
But how did we survive before sunglasses?

With the exception of the risk of snow blindness for those within the arctic circle I believe we are pretty safe from going blind just because we did not wear them.

With the exception of the risk of snow blindness for those within the arctic circle I believe we are pretty safe from going blind just because we did not wear them.
OK, my advice comes from Australia, but still worthwhile in the UK and more so if you might travel with the same glasses. Old people do go blind in the UK too.
http://www.sunsmart.com.au/downloads/resources/info_sheets/sunglasses_info_sheet.pdf
Exposure to UV radiation over long periods can lead to more serious damage to the eyes such as:
  • cataracts, or cloudiness of the lens
  • cancer of the conjunctiva, the membrane covering the white part of the eye
  • pterygium (pronounced tur-rig-i-um), an overgrowth of the conjunctiva on to the cornea
  • solar keratopathy, or cloudiness of the cornea
  • skin cancer of the eyelids and around the eyes
  • ocular melanoma.

tdm

Über Member

I'm the point jefmcg is making is that wearing cheap sunglasses that reduce visible light but are not effective at blocking UV is unsafe, because your pupils will dilate when you're wearing the glasses and expose your eyes to more UV radiation. If you weren't wearing the glasses your pupils would constrict (because it's bright, obviously) and there would be less UV exposure.

Star Strider

UV over exposure is quite easy to spot as it causes A - arc eye or B - In extremis a case of snow blindness.

I think we overstate the dangers of cheapy sunglasses.

paxterg

Veteran
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Prof...Goods_SportsSunglasses_SM&hash=item3f2391e238

Where I live I don't have to worry about cheap sunglasses and their dangers coz it's always raining!

D

Deleted member 20519

Chinese "Oakleys" - damn cheap and very good!

Someone posted here a while back saying that after they'd been out in the rain wearing their knock off Oakleys and the dye from the frames had stained their face :eek:

D

Deleted member 20519

I wear cheap Aldi ones. £7, three different lenses and a case - I can't complain.

OP
OP
STEPHAN DAVIS

STEPHAN DAVIS

At the moment i just use my amber ones all the time. TBH i can't be bothered to carry around different lenses all the time so amber for now unless its particularly sunny, which hasn't been too much of a problem lately! I used my clear ones when we had the foggy mornings and the dark evenings. :becool:

Herr-B

What weather conditions are the different lenses meant to be used?
Mirrored for full sun, grey for bright skies, and orange/yellow in poor light (amazing how much it can enhance your vision). The cheap Aldi/Lidl ones are 100% UV-A and UV-B, they work exactly as advertised, no leaking of dye in the rain.

As you pass a cyclist going in the opposite direction I don't think they're looking at your glasses and thinking, Oakleys or Crane/Crivet?

Top Bottom