Budget tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyre liners aren't great. They increase rolling resistance, and over time, wear holes in the tubes. I tried some more modern ones last year, and my tubes developed wear holes where the side of the liner was due to the micro movements that happen as a tyre rotates and compresses under load. These were for an off road commute as I was getting lots of thorns through the tyre.

froze

Über Member
Tyre liners aren't great. They increase rolling resistance, and over time, wear holes in the tubes. I tried some more modern ones last year, and my tubes developed wear holes where the side of the liner was due to the micro movements that happen as a tyre rotates and compresses under load. These were for an off road commute as I was getting lots of thorns through the tyre.

Actually that's not the case with Rhinodillos, they use a special soft end that doesn't wear holes in tubes, with over 3,800 miles on my touring setup and no flats I think that qualifies.

As far as rolling resistance goes, sure, but a person has to decide which is more important, more rolling resistance less flats, or less rolling resistance more flats. But the Rhinodillos are only about 2 watts more. For example, the Schwalbe Marathon Touring tire vs the Amotion tire you're talking about 6 watts difference, add in the Rhinodillos to the Amotion and the difference becomes 4 watts, still less rolling resistance with the Amotion tires with the liners. Rhinodillos are lighter in the difference between thornproof tubes and regular tubes.

While on a regular road bike for fitness riding, a tire liner isn't necessary, but it is an option for commuters who don't want to be bothered fixing a flat on their way to work and be late to work, then get chewed out; or for touring bikes where someone like me doesn't want to be bothered fixing a flat on a loaded touring bike. Plus the additional weight of the liners is nothing when you are already carrying 60 or so pounds of gear on your bike! And the Rhinodillos will provide a bit of a softer ride vs no liner.

https://biketestreviews.com/clean-motion-rhinodillas-flat-prevention-at-its-best/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Actually that's not the case with Rhinodillos, they use a special soft end that doesn't wear holes in tubes, with over 3,800 miles on my touring setup and no flats I think that qualifies.

As far as rolling resistance goes, sure, but a person has to decide which is more important, more rolling resistance less flats, or less rolling resistance more flats. But the Rhinodillos are only about 2 watts more. For example, the Schwalbe Marathon Touring tire vs the Amotion tire you're talking about 6 watts difference, add in the Rhinodillos to the Amotion and the difference becomes 4 watts, still less rolling resistance with the Amotion tires with the liners. Rhinodillos are lighter in the difference between thornproof tubes and regular tubes.

While on a regular road bike for fitness riding, a tire liner isn't necessary, but it is an option for commuters who don't want to be bothered fixing a flat on their way to work and be late to work, then get chewed out; or for touring bikes where someone like me doesn't want to be bothered fixing a flat on a loaded touring bike. Plus the additional weight of the liners is nothing when you are already carrying 60 or so pounds of gear on your bike! And the Rhinodillos will provide a bit of a softer ride vs no liner.

https://biketestreviews.com/clean-motion-rhinodillas-flat-prevention-at-its-best/

i might have to try them . I have tried durano plus and TBH dead weight and not any better than the zaffiros i usually run

froze

Über Member
i might have to try them . I have tried durano plus and TBH dead weight and not any better than the zaffiros i usually run

Just make sure you follow the directions exactly on the Rhinodillos. Cut off any access from the end that does not have the soft edge, and the soft edge is the overlapping part that will lay against the tube, not the cut-off end. Also, make sure you get the newest version, called the Clean Motion version, there are still a lot of the older ones on the market. Also, make sure you order the right color liner depending on the size of your tire.

Top Bottom