Budget tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Why did you call tyres bought for £12 not budget? The only conclusion can be that you thought budget tyres should be cheaper.

Perhaps if you bothered to read what I wrote, you would understand.

And that would still be no excuse for lying about me.

Alex321

Veteran
He bought Rubinos for £12, that’s a budget tyre price. At the time you replied you knew this, but still called them not budget. Do you disagree?

Well it is completely irrelevant whether I agree or not, regarding the lie you told.

But what I said was 'Most people would not describe Rubinos as budget@. And I stand by that.

The fact he got them for a knock down price doesn't suddenly turn them into budget tyres. They are decent tyres which normally retail at twice that price or more.

And given that I had specifically also stated in the same post "But I'm not going to buy real budget end tyres at £10-£15 either (unless they are more expensive ones on sale).", your assertion is just ridiculous.

And coupled with an outright lie against me.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Rubinos at that price are bargainous.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Alex321 - I think the comment about tyre purchase was supposed to be a joke. Or at least I hope so.

In terms of Rubino's Wiggle/Chain Reaction still have them at £12.99 for the 23/25/28mm sizes, although they do appear to be the old 'Pro' version rather than the newer and more expensive 2.0 version -https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360405483

Due to the state of the roads and cycle lanes in Leeds I've had to switch to cyclo-cross tyres for commuting, and pay £10-15 for Schwalbe CX Comp/Pro tyres rather than ride over the un-cleaned cycle lanes and roads in south Leeds.

IMO tyre prices depend on the buyer and the use; I'll pay about £10-15 for commuting tyres, but will go up to £40 for a road tyre and a track tyre can be £100.

Note that I'm still using up a pile of tyres I bought from Ribble a few years ago; it was a box of 20 random tyres for £2 each. Most were Vittoria Rubino's but in odd colours - pink / green / blue. I've a few blue/green ones left.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Love Rubinos too. Got several pairs stored in the cupboard but they are so reliable, I haven't needed them yet. Hope they don't perish?

If they are stored out of sunlight and without load on them, they should last a good few years. Any tyre can perish, but that is greatly accelerated by the action of sunlight (in particular the UV light) on them.

froze

Über Member
Unless you're racing in the rain the Zaffiro is plenty good enough. I had a set of those some years back and they were actually fine in the rain, they just didn't last as many miles as the Rubino did. The problem is when the tire gets wet is that it picks up stuff off the road, and some of that stuff will flat your tire, this is true with any tire, but the Zaffiro isn't as good against flats vs some other tires, so you might want to get a pair of Rhinodillos flat liners.

But if you want to spend the least amount of money possible the Zaffiro Pro G 2.0 is probably the best tire for the money. Also for that 15 cost range I wouldn't worry if they're folding or not.

Another tire to consider is the Conti Ultra Sport III, about the same price as the Vitts but the Vitts is a better tire.

Of course, the flat liners will add to the cost of the tire budget, but those are transferrable, so when the Vitts wear out you can transfer the liner to your next set of tires, so they're just a one-time expense. Tire liners work a lot better than flat-resistant tubes, also known as thorn tubes, plus they're lighter in weight even when you add the weight of a regular tube.

By the way, if you have to ride in the rain, keep your tires off of painted lines and metal grates, and take extra precautions, especially for the first hour of rain as that rain will lift oils off the pavement and make the road slick for bicycles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom