Corner cutting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I once narrowly avoided an almost identical incident at that exact same junction (in Broadway, Worcs). In my case, I hadn't quite reached the white line and hit the brakes as I just had a feeling I hadn't been seen. A sports car screeched around that corner right in front of me, not more than two feet away. It is normally a horrible place to turn right just because of the sheer volume of traffic, but it looks quite quiet in that clip.

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Must admit the cyclists was very meek. I’d have asked the driver what the hell they thought they were doing, cutting the corner like that. It wasn’t even a slight cutting if the corner. I guess the cyclist decided they’d just submit the camera evidence and let things take their course.

I wouldn't have stopped swearing for forty minutes.

mustang1

Guru
All junctions beyond the smallest should have a wee traffic island to prevent this insane behaviour.
There is a traffic island at a junction I frequent a lot. Does not make a blind bit of difference (at this junction anyway and I think it's because the main road and side road make a 45 degreee angle so turning into the side road is quite "free flowing"... the drivers not so much as cut into the opposing lane, but downright enter whole heartedly into the opposing lane - real laziness, and stupid people usually are lazy).

• Sad
Reactions: C R

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They go the wrong side of small roundabouts, too. A bit scary when you're going straight on in the facing direction and judge you have plenty of space. Not when they decide to cut it off, you don't.

After nearly getting wiped out on a small road by me I'd rather be in the middle of the road rather than the extreme right of the lane.
It's not foolproof but it might buy you a bit more safety if they don't cut right across the junction.

Drago

Legendary Member
After nearly getting wiped out on a small road by me I'd rather be in the middle of the road rather than the extreme right of the lane.
It's not foolproof but it might buy you a bit more safety if they don't cut right across the junction.
Which makes you vulnerable to a similar attack from behind. It doesn't solve the problem, it simply moves it elsewhere.

There is also the secondary issue that when a road user starts to behave unpredictably, no matter how well intentioned, it makes it harder for other road users to predict their actions and that in turn increases the likelihood of something adverse occurring.

It's pretty standard for cars not to take the far right (or left) of junctions now. It's all very sloppy.

The roads I'm most likely to stay further left are residential and rarely any traffic behind me but I can't see if anyone is turning in until I'm in the junction - so definitely safer to stay away from the centre.

Cymro74

One problem with stopping in middle of land when turning right is it gives some drivers space to overtake as I'm turning right. Those types of drivers are the ones I fear most as they know the move is dangerous to everyone.
I see corner cutting everywhere and there is no answer. Many drivers wouldn't understand the issue if they had to take their test again and failed for doing this.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom