Cornish pasty recipe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone a tasty recipe for a Cornish pasty they can share?
I've had an occasional good one (shop bought) but many more poor ones also shop bought.
Mum used to make nice ones but sadly no longer with us so I can't get her recipe.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've always fancied making a Cornish Pasty and watching this thread with interest!

cambsno

Simple. I normally buy ready made shortcrust. Use bowl or plate to cut round to make a circle. Then dice swede, onion and potato, small pieces, small fingernail roughly. Then cut some skirt steak (cheap and what is normally used but could use rump) into similar size. season the veg well with salt & pepper, and put a small amount on the pastry, then meat, then veg and more meat. Go round the outer of the pastry with water/beaten egg, then fold over. Pinch down and crimp. I normally add a small steam hole on top, glaze with beaten egg then bake.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Simple. I normally buy ready made shortcrust. Use bowl or plate to cut round to make a circle. Then dice swede, onion and potato, small pieces, small fingernail roughly. Then cut some skirt steak (cheap and what is normally used but could use rump) into similar size. season the veg well with salt & pepper, and put a small amount on the pastry, then meat, then veg and more meat. Go round the outer of the pastry with water/beaten egg, then fold over. Pinch down and crimp. I normally add a small steam hole on top, glaze with beaten egg then bake.
Do you not have to, at least, brown the meat beforehand ??
And, do you put the veg in raw/uncooked?
Its something I have thought of doing but not got round to.

CharlesF

Guru
My mother was born in Yorkshire, but grew up in Mabe, Cornwall. She was passionate about making Pasties ( never call them “Cornish Pasty”) and I have her recipe typed out using her portable typewriter, unfortunately she doesn’t give any amounts!!

After lots of searching, I found the Cornish Pasty Association most closely follows her recipe.

She told me always slice the veg, never dice, and place a layer of potato and swede, then meat, followed by another layer of veg. The meat mustn’t touch the pastry otherwise it will dry out. She always crimped on top, but I find side crimping easier. Lastly, her pasty was made with a dinner plate as the template, huge. Oh, she also used rump steak!

figbat

Slippery scientist
There are rules about this sort of thing. No carrots! And must include swede.

According to the PGI status, a Cornish pasty should be shaped like a 'D' and crimped on one side, not on the top. Its ingredients should include beef, swede potato and onion, with a light seasoning of salt and pepper, keeping a chunky texture. The pastry should be golden and retain its shape when cooked and cooled. The PGI status also means that Cornish pasties must be prepared in Cornwall. They do not have to be baked in Cornwall, nor do the ingredients have to come from the county.​

Top Bottom