Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yes I recon my mum and dad are in the same boat. Haven't left the house but am planning to meet them in the garden so a short visit - but they live quite far away so a long drive for a short visit. Or a 200k bike ride which is another possibility.

I am also concerned if my kids are ever going back to school or if my son can start his A levels in September.

That was last weekend; 3 hours of driving for an hour's visit.

My son's started his A-levels early from home. His school are planning for September but we're also set up for him learning from home if needed.

tom73

Guru
Yes and a bar-be-cue. It's the Keldy site as that was all we could get. If it happens we'll have days out and a surprise treat booked for her :whistle:.
Nice part of the world all round know it well sadly yearly holiday is off this year now.
If it's open the cafe near the long stay car park in Helmsley do great ice cream Sundays :smile:

lane

Veteran
That was last weekend; 3 hours of driving for an hour's visit.

My son's started his A-levels early from home. His school are planning for September but we're also set up for him learning from home if needed.

I have been getting my son to do some work at home but in the circumstances he isn't very motivated. He has a good set up for working from home no problem there - better than mine!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Feeling a bit 'down' generally. Been very tired. Need to pop out on the bike, or may just go for a walk. I'm just seeing so much 'stupidity' with social distancing, you do think, fark it. We've been doing the staying away from people - I saw my parents for the first time last week - I was in my front garden and they were on the pavement - just handing over a birthday card - I miss going for a beer with my dad.

Not happy we can't go to our caravan, that's dragging on, and we'd be still isolated from anyone - it's not looking likely any time soon as the Welsh Government has dug it's heals in, and TBH, the Welsh are openly racist to the English as it is.- ohh, let's all riot. :whistle: I can't see the 'locals' wanting us back - I think we'll let some other unfortunate English try getting to their van's first when we are allowed
I agree that certain areas are openly anti English** but my gut feeling is that they will be be glad to see you back when this is over.
Just last year the Spanish were chanting go home Brit slogans......now they are complaining that we are not visiting.
**our van was on Anglesey. Some areas were very pleasant while some were very Welsh (which is good) but openly aggresive to English.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm tempted to ride round to my folks, and take a few beers for me and my dad to sup on his decking in the back garden. PS - It's nearly all off road, so won't matter if I fall off on the way home.
We had the family round for a BBQ last week......the day before the weather changed. 1st time since it all kicked off.
We sat well over 2 metres apart. I cooked and put it on a table to help themselves. Wine n beer were on the table. No probs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I agree that certain areas are openly anti English** but my gut feeling is that they will be be glad to see you back when this is over.
Just last year the Spanish were chanting go home Brit slogans......now they are complaining that we are not visiting.
**our van was on Anglesey. Some areas were very pleasant while some were very Welsh (which is good) but openly aggresive to English.

I hope they want us back, that's where we spend most of our money - good for their economy. :laugh:

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I find it rather amusing when English people complain about racism from other countries.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I have been getting my son to do some work at home but in the circumstances he isn't very motivated. He has a good set up for working from home no problem there - better than mine!

I'm guessing it depends on what they're planning to do after A-levels, if they know.

My 15yo knows he needs to study hard if he's to get the 4 A-levels he's doing alongside racing. He'll need very high grades for either of his two university preferences - both near velodromes.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I find it rather amusing when English people complain about racism from other countries.
If you refer to my comment and read it again.....you will see I was not complaining. Its just a fact.
I intensley hate what the "English" have done in history but that does not alter what I have found in certain parts of wales.

Don't think that they were openly aggressive (?) just to the English. Some can be like that to non Welsh speaking Welsh. (I know from experience).

Hasn't there been hostility to English visitors in English holiday areas such as in the Lake and Peak Districts and Cornwall?

Like it or not Wales and Scotland have devolved governments that have responsibility for health and coronavirus restrictions. The rules apply within those countries and not just to those visiting them from England. A friend of mine here in Cardiff cannot visit his caravan on the Gower Peninsula, and I am not allowed to visit friends and family in my home town 20 miles away (except if I cycle there, and that rules my wife out). Things are very strange for people who live along Offa's Dyke!

Personally I would prefer to see consistency in the regulations across the three countries, and an easing up of regulations wrt to staying in non-shared owner occupied caravans where social-distancing is easy, but we don't have that and have to respect the regulations in each country.

Nothing about today's situation across the UK is ideal.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
We've not had them yet, but there is 'provision' in the accounts. I'm expecting those nearing retirement will think ' I've had enough of the madness'. Us 'back office' staff are unlikely to be back until January so I need to gear my head up for this. I've asked that I'd like to pop into the office at least once a week - finding it difficult not meeting folk in person - would be nice to see a friendly face, even if for a chin wag. Missing out 'house services' staff - the cleaners, maintenance folk etc - always good for a chat.

It's in the accounts here, but there is a plan. Nine figure projected loss of income.

Others are worried about office space. Office space is going to get requisitioned.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Don't think that they were openly aggressive (?) just to the English. Some can be like that to non Welsh speaking Welsh. (I know from experience).

Hasn't there been hostility to English visitors in English holiday areas such as in the Lake and Peak Districts and Cornwall?

Like it or not Wales and Scotland have devolved governments that have responsibility for health and coronavirus restrictions. The rules apply within those countries and not just to those visiting them from England. A friend of mine here in Cardiff cannot visit his caravan on the Gower Peninsula, and I am not allowed to visit friends and family in my home town 20 miles away (except if I cycle there, and that rules my wife out). Things are very strange for people who live along Offa's Dyke!

Personally I would prefer to see consistency in the regulations across the three countries, and an easing up of regulations wrt to staying in non-shared owner occupied caravans where social-distancing is easy, but we don't have that and have to respect the regulations in each country.

Nothing about today's situation across the UK is ideal.
You may well have a point in that Devon and Cornwall have a thing about Grockles etc but my experience is that, what I call really Welsh areas, can be openly hostile.
In my job I travelled a lot and they are the only areas I felt threatened eg if I went into a pub on my own. Can't recall feeling that in any other places.
Not labelling people or places, its just my experience.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm tempted to ride round to my folks, and take a few beers for me and my dad to sup on his decking in the back garden. PS - It's nearly all off road, so won't matter if I fall off on the way home.

Went out after finishing work, took 2 cans of Bud with me, and stopped off at my folks after a ride on the way home !
It's in the accounts here, but there is a plan. Nine figure projected loss of income.

Others are worried about office space. Office space is going to get requisitioned.

Yikes, over £100m. Lots of Overseas then.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As has been referred to upthread, the medicine of self isolation, can be worse than the cure. About a month into the lockdown, my sister, who was in self isolation because of our 89 year old Mum living with her, spoke of Mum's mental health deteriorating. (She already has early stage dementia).
My sister and I took the view that Mum's mental health took priority and that her time of going for an accompanied walk would be planned. If she happened to catch the virus, (and my sister is scrupulous in cleaning deliveries to her house), then we would live with the consequences.
Our respective spouses were told of our decision, as were the grandchildren old enough to appreciate their Grandma's condition.

Top Bottom