Coroner wants cyclists to be educated about danger of HGV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Ah, Linf's relentless logic sweeps all before it, as ever.

This is what happens when it goes wrong..the rider was lucky they were wearing an airbag safety jacket or else they would have either been killed or paralysed for life.

Not that you really ever acknowledge the value of lessons in life or that safety aids will ever help.

Sara_H

Guru
2719779 said:
It might work but it is still the wrong solution because it is negative. Address the causes of the danger and the need to worry about apportioning limited space in our towns and cities evaporates.
Why is it negative? Offering high quality segregated infrastructure would be fantastically positive. Wide paths that allow companions to cycle along and chat? Brilliant. I do ride with my son, but I find it unpleasant, scary and stressful.I have to ride behind him in primary, shouting instructions watching out for the safety of both of us How lovely if we could ride along relaxed, chatting away to each other.

Sara_H

Guru
I am glad I encouraged her to go on the cycling course as crap as it was, and, I was delighted that she decided to not give up, but to ride again. When do you suppose the "safer alternative" might be available to her? My mother is 75! ^_^ Right now the shared roads are available to her and she is going for it, I don't worry because the chances are her coming to harm are pretty much infinitesimal. Explain that to your MIL, take her out, show her, help her, encourage her.
I've long since realised that we wont achieve decent standards of cycling infrastructure in the UK in my lifetime. Doesn't mean I'm going to give up hope for it for future generations.

There is precisely zero political will behind introducing segregated cycle lanes over the entire road network, the cost would be immense, the tabloids would go crazy. It's not going to happen. Cyclists are growing in numbers but we're up against the media, motor vehicle and oil industries.

ShipHill

@ sara_H I understand where you are coming from in wanting segregated cycle lanes and provision but how would it work on - say - my route to work which is 1.1 miles down a rural B-road from a silly wee village to the edge of a moderate size town? I cannot see how anyone is going to install such provision. It would only be installed on major routes/roads in large conurbations.

So car drivers see less cyclists on the road than they do now.

So when they come across me on the way to work, instead of driving past quite nicely like they do every day, they may think "what's this saft pratt doing here" or "how do I negotiate this tiresome oaf" instead of the current arrangement (which could be improved with better training for all) where they encounter cycles frequently and cope well most of the time.

Regards
Shippy

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My only reason for supporting segregation is the belief that the more that people use the safer tracks, the higher the likelihood that the driver on the highway will have cycled and will understand the dangers they pose.

Sara_H

Guru
@ sara_H I understand where you are coming from in wanting segregated cycle lanes and provision but how would it work on - say - my route to work which is 1.1 miles down a rural B-road from a silly wee village to the edge of a moderate size town? I cannot see how anyone is going to install such provision. It would only be installed on major routes/roads in large conurbations.

So car drivers see less cyclists on the road than they do now.

So when they come across me on the way to work, instead of driving past quite nicely like they do every day, they may think "what's this saft pratt doing here" or "how do I negotiate this tiresome oaf" instead of the current arrangement (which could be improved with better training for all) where they encounter cycles frequently and cope well most of the time.

Regards
Shippy
I don't know, how do they do it in other places? I'm no planning expert, but I the magic of the internet is telling me that this happens in other places, that it works well and as a result there are massive numbers of cyclists with massive benefits for those countries/regions.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
That sounds intriguing. How many miles?

Pretty epic, finished at 10.30 tonight. Ride was in a spiral, visiting all 33 London Boroughs and the City of London, visiting each borough only once, starting in Sidcup and ending in Trafalgar Square. Including the ride from mine out to Sidcup and back home again afterwards it was about 130 miles. Group of about 20 of us, arranged through another forum, ssshhhhh. Only 2 punctures between us and less traffic lights than you might think and we took the Woolwich ferry. Top ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun

Founder
I'm temporarily closing this thread because I simply haven't got time right now to review the last few pages and decide who's picking at other people and who is discussing the topic at hand.

I'll try to do that later this evening when I get back home, but if not it'll be tomorrow. When I do re-open it, please stick to the topic and stop with the personal remarks or I'll start excluding people from the thread altogether.

Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Coroner wants cyclists to be educated about danger of HGV's

I know about the danger of HGV's but maybe some cyclists dont yet know. However me knowing about the dangers wont help me if one runs me over from behind.

Some of what she says makes sense, but surely the change and eductaion has to be with the lorry drivers too.
It would be like educating people about the danger of guns, without actually dealing with the removal of guns.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...ch-cyclists-about-danger-of-hgvs-8885729.html

This is a reminder of what the thread is about.

Please respond to the content posted and not the poster - and keep on-topic.

Thanks,
Shaun

Top Bottom