Correct Crank Extractor for Specialities TA Vega cranks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently, it's something quite specific.

(My OH is a Cytech mechanic and could tell you what extractors he has and why they don't work but I'm posting, not him, as it's my bike and I tend to spend a lot more time on CC than he does!)

If anyone knows the exact tool (part no.) for this, many many thanks.

S-Express

A quick google suggests that you need nothing more than a regular crank puller for a square taper crank.

midlife

Guru
Back in my day TA cranks had a specific (23 mm) crank remover but as mentioned above a standard (22 mm) tool will do the job as TA have stepped into line lol

Shaun

S-Express

If they are self-extract, then removal is simple. The self-extract mechanism screws into the threads which would otherwise be used to screw in the crank puller. Either way, it's not difficult.

Quite clever in that you don't need a separate crank puller.

Although as the Park Tools man points out, the lock ring needs to be nipped up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAj-zbynPI

Ah, thank you! I've been hunting for a video! :smile:

Yes, discovered the pretty colours today myself! And Paul tells me you can remove the self-extracting bolts and retro-fit normal bolts & dust covers if you want. Which -- for a variety of reasons -- is what he has done himself.

midlife

Guru
Just out of curiosity, are more modern self extracting systems better than the early ones I came across from Campag / Shimano?

Shaun

Just musing/thinking now, as it's not crucial to the issue at hand, but...

Does "lock ring" mean the same thing as "retaining ring"? I was assuming it does (thinking that the Park Tool was saying "retaining ring" as being the American term) but now I am not so sure. Here is what SJS calls the "lockring" for my TA Vega cranks. And below is a photo of my TA Vega crankset, spider side*, which clearly does not have that but is instead has the ring (with dimples as it's self extracting) that resembles what the Park Tool guy calls the "retaining ring":
P1030070.JPG

* The bolts look the same on both sides on my crankset. I mention this because the Park Tool video shows the demo bike from the non-drivechain set.

Top Bottom