Correct foot position on pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Does anybody know what the correct foot position on the pedal is?

Peddling with the balls of my feet gives more power than with the middle. Is this OK or am I risking foot or leg dammage?

IIRC correctly there's plenty of debate on the subject but as you say you get more power with the balls of your foot; most clipless systems are set up so the cleat (clip) is positioned just behind the ball of the foot. Given the amount of set up's like that amateur and pro, I seriously doubt it causes any long term damage.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Does anybody know what the correct foot position on the pedal is?

Peddling with the balls of my feet gives more power than with the middle. Is this OK or am I risking foot or leg dammage?

The correct foot position on the pedal is he ball of your foot, that is the way we teach the National Cycle Training Standard, it is the most efficient way of pedalling. So don't worry you aren't at risk of foot or leg damage...

ASC1951

Guru
Pedalling with the balls of my feet gives more power than with the middle. Is this OK or am I risking foot or leg damage?
Correct position is as explained above. Note that you cannot achieve this without having toe-clips, or nowadays cleats, to hold your foot in the right place.

Rebel Ian

My shoes are set up so cleats are on the ball of my foot too but irrespective of whether that's technically correct, that's where it feels comfortable. If that wasn't comfortable I'd move it to where it was.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
My shoes are set up so cleats are on the ball of my foot too but irrespective of whether that's technically correct, that's where it feels comfortable. If that wasn't comfortable I'd move it to where it was.

I'd agree with the Rebel. Try pushing the cleat as far forward as poss and then compare the feel when it is pushed right back.

jimboalee

Your cleats should be in about nearly but not quite exactly in this position..->

P190701_24-07-10.jpg

gavintc

Guru
Jim, Not sure what I am looking at in that picture. Is it some sort of cleat? Your position proposal is interesting as I suggest it takes the cleat rearward than the standard ball of foot over axle recommendation. I have been trying different options and my most comfortable position is one that the axle is slightly behind the ball - not much. Just interesting that your comment seems to support this.

Chrisz

Über Member
I read a while ago (I think it was an Australian journal) that, contrary to popular opinion, the most efficient cleat position is more towards the centre of the foot. The theory being that by reducing the distance between the ankle joint and the pedal axle reduces the amount of work needed by the calf muscles (gastrocnemius & soleus). This means that fewer muscles are using energy and thus leads to a more efficient pedal action. For most people the gastrocnemius/soleus are used as fixators, holding the ankle in position, while the quadriceps, hamstrings and gluteals provide the driving force. I'll have a search and see if I can find the article :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Your cleats should be in about nearly but not quite exactly in this position..

Why? - That is a cleat that was used with toe clips and straps to prevent pulling your foot out of the pedal. I don't think it's position has any relevance to the current discussion as the slot in the cleat located on the rear edge of that sort of pedal. I used Lyotard platform pedals which had a raised edge at the rear. Your foot may well have ended up in the recommended position but the I fail to see how this helps anyone to correctly position modern cleats.

jimboalee

Your cleats should be in about nearly but not quite exactly in this position..

Why? - That is a cleat that was used with toe clips and straps to prevent pulling your foot out of the pedal. I don't think it's position has any relevance to the current discussion as the slot in the cleat located on the rear edge of that sort of pedal. I used Lyotard platform pedals which had a raised edge at the rear. Your foot may well have ended up in the recommended position but the I fail to see how this helps anyone to correctly position modern cleats.

Read my 'signature'.....;)

jimboalee

Go to a toy shop.
Buy a sheet of Plasticene.
Lay the sheet of Plasticene out on a linoleum floor.
Gently step on the sheet of Plasticene.
Stand there for a while.
Gently step off without disturbing the sheet of Plasticene too much.

Apart from the heel, note the part of the foot ( THE BALL OF THE FOOT ) which causes the deepest indentation.

This happens to be where your bodyweight is shared with the heel. Its a good starting point for the pedal axle line.

Top Bottom