correct spectacles for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I wear varifocals for driving/reading/everyday I am of the opinion I should also have prescription spectacles for cycling....so any advice? I presume I would be ok with single distance vision rather than varifocals. Also the problem in winter riding is misting on specs on cold mornings....is there any special coating I should look at? Finally where is the best place to buy on the internet? I quite like the look of these (below) and with single distance prescription the cost would be just over £100...they look nice specs...any other recommendations please? Thanks in advance
https://www.theglassescompany.co.uk...1n-O1NmYoIMdLnSrC8ePYNGJ59dmwuHRoCk7YQAvD_BwE

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Optilabs near Croydon are very good. They have a range with vents to help de mystify things. They have (or at least used to have when I lived round the corner) a showroom if you're ever in that part of the world, for proper testing and so on. Although I would probably recommend taking your glasses off to improve the general ambiance of the surrounding area.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have single vision direct glaze transitions Oakleys. Not cheap at around £300 but if you want a cycling wraparound style, direct glaze rather than inserts that’s what they cost. I’ve used Extreme Eyewear and Rx Sport. Both very good
I looked at Optilabs but they were no cheaper and I didn’t like any of the frames!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Another varifocaller here, but single focus is fine for riding. The only thing I’d add is that inserts don’t suit everybody, so try before you buy if you’re considering them to save a bit of cash. For my fat head they just sit too close to my eyes to be comfortable.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
One advantage of bifocals is that you check the map and / or phone.

I've only recently started wearing glasses for driving, at least for night driving, then realised that actually bifocals would have been better for that reason. I'd needed reading glasses for a good while

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I use Optilabs glasses with transitions lenses in single vision. My gps on my bike is far enough from my eyes that I don’t need the bifocal option for my reading prescription. Just had them do new lenses for my 9 year old polycarbonate frames. Very fast turn around within a week.

I'd you just need reading glasses out in the bike you can get so e little stick on lenses that adhere to the lens through water suction. Works great if you can't read the gps very clearly without.

alicat

Legendary Member
I just cycle in my normal reactalite specs. Seems to work okay for me and no extra cost, which is a bonus

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
If you had toothache, would you ask about it on a cycling website....same goes for glasses. Ask your local optician. Tell them what you need, and let them solve the problem. They have waaaaay more experience than us lot on here....

Mike_P

Guru
Varifocal user but have single vision Optilabs glasses. Thinking of investing in some varifocal ones (almost £400 it seems with thin lenses and reactive lens) so waiting for one of their sales. Issue I have with the single vision ones is trying to read the smaller text on my Garmin 530 or any text on my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Curved cycling type glasses keep the sun from encroaching into vision from the sides.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I used specs4less online. They were very helpful. The full frame styles came with integral lenses, the others were generally inserts. I specified bifocals with very small reading lenses at the bottom. They allowed me to specify the depth o the reading part (in my case 13mm).

I also specced photochromic to avoid having to change lenses.

Top Bottom