Corticosteroid injection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
please update

ditto suggested by Dr after 2 years of pain from 2 accidents to left shoulder

good luck.!!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Anyone had one?
I have been diagnosed with tennis elbow and am going to have a corticosteroid injection on Friday.
I had one in my right shoulder 2 years ago, it took a couple of weeks to kick in but then worked well until it wore off and the pain returned with a vengeance. I trapped a nerve in the right side of my neck in September when I fell off my bike and saw a chiropractor which worked well and whether coincidentally or as a fortunate by-product of that, I am now pain free in my shoulder.....HOWEVER......

I have had tennis elbow in my left arm since about December and it is horrible. I had an injection last Wednesday and as yet it hasn't alleviated the pain. I am hoping it does quite soon. Apparently it can take a few weeks to kick in though. Good luck with yours.

Mattonsea

Über Member
I have had several on both elbows. I was warned that it would be painful , but it wasn't to bad . Now after 6 years I have hade no problems .

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've had several as well, tennis elbow, knee joint and the other week, in my shoulder.
None worked for me and I ended up having surgery on my knee and elbow (tendon release). That failed too.
I'm just a lost cause :laugh:
They do work well in the majority of cases, they really aren't too painful. Just make sure you take it easy as it's easy to overdo things if you feel better!

Acyclo

Veteran
Had one, well two, a few years back. First not successful, but the second worked after about four weeks. Best of luck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One in my shoulder and 4 into my back (2 back 2 into trapezius).

Can sting a little, but it's not that bad at all really - you just get yourself worked up, then think, oh well, was that it !! It can work very well. Hoping to get some into my 'plumbs' plumbing soon (gulp) as a nerve block !

SteCenturion

I am your Father
All this sounds bad.

Considering GP to get a referal for back pain Sacroiliac joint whatever that is (sister suffers the same).

Pelvis is twisted out of sync with spine so pain is a constant.
(Private physio tells me).

Not fancying those injections described above though (if needed).

ASC1951

Guru
I've had one on the NHS for plantar fascitis and it was eye-wateringly painful. All it did was reduce the inflammation while the area healed - except that the area didn't heal, because it was a postural problem. Sessions with a private physio, ie someone I could see within six weeks, completely cured the issue and it has never recurred.
Tennis elbow is a classic for steroid injections being a waste of time unless the injury is purely from over-use. With most of us it isn't, it's a combination or faulty technique and muscular imbalance; and there are loads of videos about how to deal with it. Here is what cured my golfer's elbow (same type of injury, but on the inside of that joint) http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3614 and it can be applied in reverse to tennis elbow.
Steroid injections have their place in rehabilitation, but don't expect them to produce a cure on their own because they won't.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One in my shoulder. It wasn't too bad. Didn't sort out the pain 100% as I still get twinges now and gain like an old war wound, but way better then it was before the injection.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Two years ago, I had pain in my knee, shoulder and wrist joints. It was really debilitating and extremely bad for morale. I was given a steroid jab in my bum to alleviate the pain before the other medication had time to kick in. The effect was quite remarkable. Within 24 hours I felt so much better. Unfortunately, they don't like to give people steroids as a matter of routine....except in some sports....:whistle:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have had two, one in each shoulder. It feels like they are injecting treacle and hurts like hell, but worked for me first time. Second time it was something else. The injection was a quick fix for the most likely cause.

Top Bottom