Cost for staying in care homes for the elderly.....scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
I was actually saying exactly that last night.
When i got the 1st quote I thought WoW, that is *@#* expensive but I have stayed in far more expensive hotels.
I think the problem(s) is/are
A. Realing how quickly the hard earned savings will go and
B. Knowing that others get the same care foc.
They don't necessarily get the same care though. Most likely if you can't pay, you will have little or no choice of home, and some are pretty awful. My father's care home cost over £1500/week, but the care was excellent, he was well looked after, with plenty of activities, nice surroundings, and he was pretty happy all things considered. Most of his savings went, but it was his money, and why shouldn't it be spent on him, rather than me? It's a real comfort to me to know his last months were spent in the best surroundings we could find, rather than the others we looked at, which were pretty grim. Personally I would favour increased funding of care via inheritance tax.

Personally I would favour increased funding of care via inheritance tax

That is quite neat.

Brains

Legendary Member
Worth looking at 24hr care at home.

My mother had a team of carers which kept her at home until the end.
Costs were comparable to a care home of about £70-80k a year, but she remained in her own home and had one-to-one care 24hrs a day.

The problem is finding the right staff, but it can be done

tinywheels

Über Member
buy caravan and move granny onto the outside driveway. Then you can keep an eye open for her wellbeing. Cheap as chips, and you get your paws on the inheritance.
virtually no one wants to take care of their own parents, but they all wants the moolah.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
buy caravan and move granny onto the outside driveway. Then you can keep an eye open for her wellbeing. Cheap as chips, and you get your paws on the inheritance.
virtually no one wants to take care of their own parents, but they all wants the moolah.
With both partners working to keep the show on the road it isn’t possible to have granny move in unless you have a huge house and granny doesn’t need much care.
My wife has this dilemma with her mother. Her husband was her main carer but he died in the summer.
Moving her in with us is completely impractical. She is incontinent, on 24h oxygen and can’t walk up stairs.
We would have to turn our living room into a bedroom for her and the impact on our two children would be huge. And I’m not sure I could cope either
She has 3 carer visits a day in her own home and that is it, but what else can we do.
Her house is worth £150k so we have waved bye bye to that.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You need to be careful with those accusations.
We had MrsDs Mum living with us and nursed her till near her death.....she had NO MONEY.
I loved her as, of course, did my wife.
Some people might do it for the money but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

tinywheels

Über Member
You need to be careful with those accusations.
We had MrsDs Mum living with us and nursed her till near her death.....she had NO MONEY.
I loved her as, of course, did my wife.
Some people might do it for the money but don't tar everyone with the same brush.
re read the post, I said virtually no one.you want to be careful your not making accusations that don't stand up.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Can't happen in our case: she's been confined to a home for patients with Alzheimer's and requires 24 hour care with medical treatment.

Top Bottom