cost of components/shipping containers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Times of old pre Covid there were ready bargains of course due to mass production/overstocks/fashions etc etc.
Then prices shot up as we all know.
Was in a bikeshop the other day that shall remain nameless and they said that the prices of shipping containers they were seeing had dropped dramatically and there were a fair few offers offering them (as a seller) big margins on bits - margins not seen for quite some time.
Anyone else had any whiff of this?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My Mrs hasn't mentioned the costs dropping - I'll ask. She deals with the cost side all the time.

Baldy

Über Member
I don't understand, the cost of buying a container or the cost of hiring one to move goods?

Reactions: C R
It's the cost of hiring space on the ships to transport the containers.
I've ben following it on you-tube.
The spot price has fallen a lot from it's high so making the transport cost less.
But if you pre-booked space when the price was high, you'll still be paying the high price.
So price drops may be spotty.

Luck .......... ^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Very interesting.. of course there's always the temptation for wholesalers / retailers to maintain existing high prices despite the cost price to them falling; however the way the economy's going I suspect the savvy ones will look to chase more sales at the cost of margins.

Today's shower thought was whether we might have reached peak consumption with the situation as it is.. we've had years of unsustainable, frivilous, debt-fuelled consumption and it seems the wheels have finally fallen off that grotty wagon. Looks like as a country we're returning to the days of actually having to live within our means.. I can see a lot of superfluous tat and services getting the chop as people tighten their belts.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Shipping costs have certainly come down from the highs of pandemic rates. I cannot see them falling to pre covid rates as those were falsely low. Certainly a lot of the shipping lines are quoting very similar rates at the moment and whilst they will not admit to price fixing, the reality is that this is what is happening.

I speak as someone who has been working in shipping and logistics since 1981….

Top Bottom