Cost to install cat flap in external wall ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Is it has a plastic top, water comes down the inside surface of the outer leaf of brickwork and pools on the top casing of the catflap housing. It then tracks onto the inner leaf.

Cavity wall ties are not large pieces of horizontal plastic.
Even worse if the cavity has been insulated.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is it has a plastic top, water comes down the inside surface of the outer leaf of brickwork and pools on the top casing of the catflap housing. It then tracks onto the inner leaf.

Cavity wall ties are not large pieces of horizontal plastic.

If you have water coming down the inside of the brickwork the cat flap is the least of your worries.

Damp course stops it coming up.The walls will probably be full of gapfil insulation etc too
So water would soak all that too.

Also all vents are very similar, kitchen extractors, showerfans , tumble dryer ect.. Same thing

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
I fitted one in a window in my daughter’s flat recently. The automatic flap kit was 50 pounds, and an extra 12 for the adaptor plates to use it on glass. All from Amazon.

The glass panel was about 600x500. The first supplier I went to - a national chain - wanted £150 for the panel, and quoted 3 weeks delivery. 6 weeks later, after they had supplied one panel (wrong size) and broken another, I cancelled the order, and went to a local supplier. 3 day turn round, and less than half of the price.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you have water coming down the inside of the brickwork the cat flap is the least of your worries.

Damp course stops it coming up.The walls will probably be full of gapfil insulation etc too
So water would soak all that too.

Also all vents are very similar, kitchen extractors, showerfans , tumble dryer ect.. Same thing
In heavy, wind driven rain, water seeps across the outer leaf and drips down the inside face. BRE wrote about it ( and photographed it) back in the 70's. The only thing that keeps the inner leaf dry is (1) the nifty design of cavity ties, and (2) expert detailing of cavity flashings, DPCs etc. The literature isn't exactly hard to find.

Sorry, I'm not trying to pick an argument.^_^

I have done one just like in video @raleighnut showed, for a friend (our cats have a flap in the wooden back door) , easy enough, I even by coincidence have the same drill and breaker as in the video, if you don't want to tackle it then its an easy job for a builder type chappie, if you was closer I would lend you the tools

Levo-Lon

Guru
In heavy, wind driven rain, water seeps across the outer leaf and drips down the inside face. BRE wrote about it ( and photographed it) back in the 70's. The only thing that keeps the inner leaf dry is (1) the nifty design of cavity ties, and (2) expert detailing of cavity flashings, DPCs etc. The literature isn't exactly hard to find.

Sorry, I'm not trying to pick an argument.^_^

So his house has already got all that.

You and i dont even know what its built with unless i missed that? .. It may be 9" or even a prefab..
My house is old with new and full of ducting to the outside, i have no damp there.

The underfloor is another matter and something ive been dealing with over the last few yrs.

So im not arguing either, i just feel your making a drama out of nothing.
Its a small plastic duct going through a wall, we think..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
So his house has already got all that.

You and i dont even know what its built with unless i missed that? .. It may be 9" or even a prefab..
My house is old with new and full of ducting to the outside, i have no damp there.

The underfloor is another matter and something ive been dealing with over the last few yrs.

So im not arguing either, i just feel your making a drama out of nothing.
Its a small plastic duct going through a wall, we think..
I was making comments specifically about cavity walls, and I made that clear in my first post.

Anyway, if you encourage those disgusting, smelly animals into your home (…...yes, the ones that will piss in your headphones just for the fun of it....), a small area of damp will seem insignificant.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My mate paid to have a microchip cat flap put in. Turned out the cat had some sort of phobia and never ever goes out.
I feel his pain.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I did this 15 years ago in cavity wall in a sheltered wall location. House in Herts.

Used 2 catflaps, brown outside, white inside connected with plywood lining.
No damp problems - only problem with vermin caught and set free indoors.

Just ask cat to wipe its feet.

Top Bottom