Cost to install cat flap in external wall ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Has anyone had this done?
House we are interested in buying assuming we sell has a patio door to the back followed by a door to the kitchen which has glass panels , the only option if i got the house i think would be to put the cat flap through an external wall or there is a secure store with a wooden door i can easily cat flap into but would need a tunnel into the house .

Chris S

Legendary Member
Are you sure it's a good idea? Around here cat flaps are known as 'rat flaps'.

D

Deleted member 26715

Has anyone had this done?
House we are interested in buying assuming we sell has a patio door to the back followed by a door to the kitchen which has glass panels , the only option if i got the house i think would be to put the cat flap through an external wall or there is a secure store with a wooden door i can easily cat flap into but would need a tunnel into the house .
Easy to do just use a piece of UG drain to link the 2 doors, not ideal for a big cat though
Are you sure it's a good idea? Around here cat flaps are known as 'rat flaps'.
You need to buy a cat

Chris S

Legendary Member
471d2e566bc436a65eae75f449171d19.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Easy to put a cat flap in a glass panel. Would need to replace the existing panel(s) with new ones though.

^ this:

Here is ours:

cat flap.JPG

The window is in fact one big double-glazed unit, and the glazing bars are stuck on as it's not seperate panes of glass. I think it was maybe £300 including the a new double glazed unit & the £100 electronic cat flap that keeps other cats out

As an alternative maybe it could go in a kitchen window or similar instead

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The difficult part is cutting out the hole in the brick, you'd need a hefty SDS drill. After that, getting it perfectly square is time consuming but simple enough. We used to have a micro-chip catflap (can't remember the brand now but it looks identical to @Profpointy 's). They lasted several years and worked a treat.

Just make sure it is sealed properly around otherwise you'll get a draft!

It should be 2 or 3 hours work for a decent handy man

Levo-Lon

Guru
Simple straightforward job.

You can use a normal hammer drill and simply drill holes through the outer brick. Hole every 25mm and in each corner.
So you can then tap out the brick with a chisel, then using a long drill bit you drill a centre hole through the cutout so you can do the inside. Assuming its a double skin wall.
If its modern plasterboard even easier.

Same again on the inside and then fit your cat flap.
Seal the outer as normal with mastic ect.

No need to worry about bridging damp as its plastic.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Simple straightforward job.

You can use a normal hammer drill and simply drill holes through the outer brick. Hole every 25mm and in each corner.
So you can then tap out the brick with a chisel, then using a long drill bit you drill a centre hole through the cutout so you can do the inside. Assuming its a double skin wall.
If its modern plasterboard even easier.

Same again on the inside and then fit your cat flap.
Seal the outer as normal with mastic ect.

No need to worry about bridging damp as its plastic.
Is it has a plastic top, water comes down the inside surface of the outer leaf of brickwork and pools on the top casing of the catflap housing. It then tracks onto the inner leaf.

Cavity wall ties are not large pieces of horizontal plastic.

Top Bottom