Costo Chondritis.........any body else had this painful problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just sharing this unpleasant experience really.
A few weeks ago I developed a very painful area around the breast-bone. This gradually went worse and movement of my left arm was limited (it pulled on the affected area).
I put it down to a strain but couldn't figure out how I had done it.
Any way, after it went worse over Sunday night I went to see the Doctor.....AND........the above is what he diagnosed.
It is a VIRUS that "attacks" the cartilage around the breast bone/rib area and can take anything form 3 weeks to 12 months to clear up.
I have to go for an XRay.....just to be certain but he was reasonably confident.
It doesn't stop me cycling although it is worse after the ride and the Doc' is happy for me to continue with that (phew).

Yes, I had a bout of this a few years back, IIRC it took 3 or 4 months to clear completely, although it did become less troublesome after a few weeks.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes, I had a bout of this a few years back, IIRC it took 3 or 4 months to clear completely, although it did become less troublesome after a few weeks.
I have had mine some 3-4 weeks now and it is easing off.
Hats off to the Doc'......as soon as I explained the symptoms he went looking for this.
Showing my ignorance now...........what is IIRC ??

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If I recall/remember correctly
Thanks
BTW.........what/who was the online clothing supplier you recommend ? (I'm struggling to get Edura Pro waist shorts in medium).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I struggle with a related condition... Tietze Syndrome, which seems to lurk in the background most of the time, but I found doing certain exercises in Pilates (planks specifically) irritated it. Occasionally I have to admit to it on medical forms or on a pre-ride form.

ChrisEyles

Guru
@Dave7 yes, I'm also a costochondritis sufferer as of quite recently. A stupid incident at work lifting something far heavier than I should have, and I tweaked one of my ribs away from my sternum. The cartilage there has been giving me absolute hell for the last eight weeks, easily the most painful injury I've ever had. Unfortunately I do quite a manual job so I'm not very able to follow the best advice of avoiding anything that irritates it.

You're lucky you can still cycle with yours - I can't maintain the position needed to ride a road bike, and the thought of pumping up my tyres is an absolute joke, I doubt I could get more than 30psi in at the moment. Not very happy about it!

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's great to hear @Dave7 :smile: Hope you've seen the last of it.

Still struggling with mine at the moment, but it is gradually improving on a diet of inactivity and pain killers. Fortunatey my boss has been very understanding of the limitations I've got at work, but it is frustrating not being able to ride/run/DIY at the moment!

Top Bottom