Cotic Soul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Right. I've had enough of Teutonic XC Fire road thrashers and want a new HT frame. Answers to my questions elsewhere suggest a Cotic Soul, so a little windfall I had yesterday may be going that way. Any Soul owners out there?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
The new frame arrives tomorrow. 17.5" Cotic Soul in black. Made from Reynolds 853 tubing it weighs 4.4lb, or a whisker under 2 kg. I've just spent an hour and a half stripping the Cube Ltd ready to transfer all the bits over onto the new frame. Photos tomorrow when I've got somewhere with building it up.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The new frame arrives tomorrow. 17.5" Cotic Soul in black. Made from Reynolds 853 tubing it weighs 4.4lb, or a whisker under 2 kg. I've just spent an hour and a half stripping the Cube Ltd ready to transfer all the bits over onto the new frame. Photos tomorrow when I've got somewhere with building it up.
I sometimes ride with a grey haired old reprobate who rides a rigid 1 x 9 Soul. Unfortunately he's about a foot shorter than me so I can't have a go on it but he loves it. as in LOVES IT. I just worry it might blow away in a strong breeze!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sounds lovely. Hope you've got white forks...
opinion varies on which forks would work best. It takes a tapered fork up to 140, so I could fit any of the following
Fox 140 RC in white
Magura Thor 100 -140, white
Rockshox Reba 100 in black
Rockshox Reba 120 also black.
May spend a week or two experimenting

Edit

Just remembered I've got a pair of 100mm Tora coils in white as well.( Might need to do a fork audit and cull...................)

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's here. Lurking in a box in my office. I can hear it quietly begging to be built. The hands of the clock are moving as slowly as they ever have. I am currently pondering how the Hope headset goes together, , with its beautiful split crown race.

VamP

Banned
opinion varies on which forks would work best. It takes a tapered fork up to 140, so I could fit any of the following
Fox 140 RC in white
Magura Thor 100 -140, white
Rockshox Reba 100 in black
Rockshox Reba 120 also black.
May spend a week or two experimenting

Edit

Just remembered I've got a pair of 100mm Tora coils in white as well.( Might need to do a fork audit and cull...................)

Now you're giving me fork envy. I'm pretty sure once you've experimented and weighed up all the pros and cons, you'll fit white forks .

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Now you're giving me fork envy. I'm pretty sure once you've experimented and weighed up all the pros and cons, you'll fit white forks .

I have a set of fork seals. I am about to service one pair of forks for the first go. I reason that I don't want a 100mm screamer, so the Tora and the shorter Rebas are shelved.

I have a 140 bike for trail riding nonsense, the Fox Float 140s are on that, and the Maguras are attached to Cubester's ragley. I could pull parental rank and steal them from him, but they're Maxle, and I'd have to swap wheels with him. He runs Maxxis Minions which weigh more than my wheelset, where my superleggeras will fit straight onto the Reba 120s, which the fork seals fit..... so first in the queue is the 120 Rebas.

I think.

They're black and you've got me worried now.

I've got Rockshok Reba (100mm) on my Hardtail, and find them excellent.

That said, I think you're a bigger (as in more experienced/better/more frequent rather than larger!) mountain biker than me, so not sure what my views are worth!

PS Mine are also white!

flying start

Veteran
Pics cubist as you bilud the bike! You got your self a good frame there my friend
I'm getting a Hardtail for Christmas off the better half for ragging round the trails was going to get a ragley but seen a prince Albert so have to settle on that she won't pay the extra for a cotic! Lots of pics fella!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Those PAs look good, esp the green one.

Spent last night stripping and servicing my old Reba and discovered it was spacered so I have increased it to 120 and fixed the sticky remote release, changed the oil and seals. Never done a fork before so every day's a school day.

None of the finishing bits had arrived yesterday so I'll start it when I get in from work this evening.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've got a huge album loading on photobucket, but I managed to get started at 6 tonight, and after a stop for tea and a bit of a telling off from Mrs Cube I took it for its maiden voyage at 10.30.
You'll be fascinated to learn it weighs in at 11.3kg without pedals.
Here's a teaser. Please excuse the state of the workbench, I'll sort it tomorrow......
SoulBuild153.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Pics cubist as you bilud the bike! You got your self a good frame there my friend
I'm getting a Hardtail for Christmas off the better half for ragging round the trails was going to get a ragley but seen a prince Albert so have to settle on that she won't pay the extra for a cotic! Lots of pics fella!
Right, here goes.
Bits from the stripped Cube:
SoulBuild002.jpg

Forks, stripped and serviced, and travel increased to 120mm.
SoulBuild014.jpg

Everything laid out ready.
SoulBuild013.jpg

Just need a frame now.....
SoulBuild038.jpg

SoulBuild061.jpg

Top Bottom