Cotic Soul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just back from Llandegla, with a mate who rides a Ti 456. Plan was to ride the red, have lunch then go back round and ride the black bits on sussers.
First impressions of the Soul were of course on the climb up to the top. I had set out with a shock pump, meaning to tune the Rebas as I went along. Firstly the geometry. I ride with a lot of seatpost, having long legs and a short trunk, so the slackish head angle with 120s on is nicely countered by a lowish bar setup. I have low rise carbon 685s on, which I would suggest are about perfect with a 60mm stem. Even then, I was able to lift the front wheel pretty effortlessly on upslopes.
The fork was initially set at 60psi. I'm heavy at 16 stone, but like to run a really plush fork. I had it at 30% sag in the garage, but I guess the slightly more weight backwards seat position meant that was a tad too soft, and I had used all 120mm travel by the time I got to the top of the climb. I added 10psi and set off down the first short run with the berms and a couple of humps on it. I felt the fork bottom out, not too harshly, but enough to realise 70 psi was still a bit soft. I therefore added just under 10psi, and then hit that descent out on the uncovered hillside.
Wow. Just wow. That frame is just so comfortable. I hadn't really understood the term "compliant" when it came to steel frames, but I do now. It sticks to the trail in a really reassuring way, where the Cube RFR frame was skittish and harsh. The rear end, with a nice fat 2.25 Ralph on it, is so springy it feels like it's got a rear shock. With the 120s on plush but no longer bottoming out the front end feels utterly planted, even over some of the worst of the braking bumps (there are huge braking potholes gouged out out virtually every yard of 'degla I noticed :sad:)
It steers beautifully, and squashed hard into berms it rails them perfectly.
I've never been all that confident a rider on the Cube. It felt nervous at times, and I often struggled on whoops and tabletops, with me aiming for smooth and tight rather than playful and jumpy. Not today. That Soul frame lifts easily and smoothly, with a front end that is a joy to fire over little step-ups and so on, so once I had got used to the novel feel of the bike I started looking for speed, and ever increasingly aggressive lines. I got more air today on little kickers and small jumps than ever before, finding the bike solid on landing.
Only criticism , and this is probably as much me as the bike, is that the front end lifts on steep climbs, so I'll have to aim for steady and smooth, rather than bootfuls of torque through the cranks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
seatpost swap for one with no layback maybe?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Got a Thompson elite, but need a shim to fit it. Could be a plan though. Another option may be a longer stem, but I don't want go dull the steering

KernowLad

Regular
What a cracking build thread! Apologies, I'm new, I've just bought a Soul, I was over excited, did some Googling, found this thread and loved it. I've just binned (well hopefully sold) a very XC only Stumpjumper HT frame and got myself a Soul (with black forks - booo!). Only done a couple of short rides (proper one tomorrow) but impressions so far are very good. Sadly I'm a spanner with a spanner so got a properly trained mechanic mate to build mine! Here she is:
P1020014.jpg

KernowLad

Regular
Well first decent ride done - very hilly, big rocks, roots, a few big DHs (I'm a bit of a DH wuss) and I'm in love! Should have got one years ago! That back end is SO much more planted and feels almost like it has a bit of rear suspension, it climbs very well, it's nimble, etc, etc. Brilliant. To the OP - I really like your red details. Looks great!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well first decent ride done - very hilly, big rocks, roots, a few big DHs (I'm a bit of a DH wuss) and I'm in love! Should have got one years ago! That back end is SO much more planted and feels almost like it has a bit of rear suspension, it climbs very well, it's nimble, etc, etc. Brilliant. To the OP - I really like your red details. Looks great!
Aren't they just awesome? It feels every bit as good as my 140 full susser over a lot of terrain. Mine's now 2x9 rather than a trip[le, and has SLX brakes .... nothing like a bit of fetling....!

Welcome by the way, I take it from your username that you're down the South West?

KernowLad

Regular
Yep - Cornwall. Currently West (nr Truro) but moving back to the beach in Polzeath in a few weeks. Mine is a bit of a ponsy spec as I was a weight slave for a while - hope hoops (717s on Hope Pro 2s), XO brakes, rear mech and shifters, 991/990 chain/cassette, XT crank/TA Chinook rings, SID 100mm forks (planning to convert to 120mm if they are the right model year!), Thomson seat post and stem, Phenom SL saddle, CK BB, Hope headset, Easton EC90 riser bars, blah blah boring, bike nerd geek, etc. It feels pretty light but unlike the last bike, it's WAY more fun!! I was seriously considering FS but didn't want to maintenance and was too tight to buy a new fork. Really glad I went for the Soul! Sorry, a rather wordy reply...

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Final version!!!!?????:blush:
Now 2x9 as promised, with E thirteen Bash, 36t and 22t with an 11-32 cassette. It has a Deda Dog Fang to stop the chain shipping inwards (thanks @colinj ), and the front mech is a SLX double specific, which means it can be set to miss the bash by a mm or so to help chain retention.
147.jpg

Chain tensioner is a rear reflector bracket and a bit of garden hose, working like a Bionicon, but costing £35 less!! Looks shite, but hey ho.
145.jpg

I sold the Deore brakes and bought a pair of XT for the Canyon, so the Cotic can have the Canyon's SLX. Thanks Rose bikes, what a bargain.
149.jpg

Stem was too long so I got a Ragley Stubbing for £23 at CRC. Bombproof. Red.
148.jpg

Finally, I've got the shim for the Thompson Elite seatpost I had and so now have no layback.
151.jpg

Needs a test ride in new form. I've also considered slamming the stem, but will wait and see

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It has a Deda Dog Fang to stop the chain shipping inwards (thanks @colinj )
Yay - another Dog Fang sale! :laugh: (I only get a few pence commission, unless someone decides to buy a bike or something else expensive at the same time.)

I've just put a 26 tooth inner ring on my Basso and find that my Dog Fang is no longer slipping the chain back onto the ring when I overshift, but at least the chain doesn't get jammed and mangle itself and the frame. When I start riding again, I'll see if I can adjust it to work better with the new chainring.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Final version!!!!?????
Chain tensioner is a rear reflector bracket and a bit of garden hose, working like a Bionicon, but costing £35 less!! Looks s***e, but hey ho.
145.jpg
My eyes! My eyes! That is just wrong. Wronger than a very wrong thing. Ship. Happeth. Tar.;)

Top Bottom