Cotic Soul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
OK, what does slamming the stem mean?
Running the stem at the bottom of the available steerer stack. With the slacker geometry of the Soul I can run the bars lower than I did on the Cube, as it no longer feels like I'm going to ride off the front of the bike. Wisdom suggests that a lower front is better for climbing, (the front lifted a bit on steep stuff) but I've put a straight post on, a shorter stem, so have already reduced cockpit length by about 30mm. That may well give me what I needed, but I can lower the stem to compound the effect if I need to.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
My eyes! My eyes! That is just wrong. Wronger than a very wrong thing. Ship. Happeth. Tar.;)
Alright, so I need a stinger and a medium cage mech. Stinger ordered. [mutter/grumble]Bloody appearance nazis [mutter/grumble]

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Does that bodged thing stop everything crashing around at the back when the back wheel bounces about?
Yes, it keeps the chain under tension and aligned with the chainrings. It stops the worst effects of slap/ suck . If you run 2x9 a Blackspire Stinger is a good value solution. Crc have them on offer at the moment, although I found a used one. It also helps to make sure the chain is as short as will allow smooth shifting, which in this case is big ring to big ring plus powerlink.
only a conversion to singlespeed will do that.;)
:-D

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
My eyes! My eyes! That is just wrong. Wronger than a very wrong thing. Ship. Happeth. Tar.;)
I suppose I can rightfully be accused of pandering to pressure. There: Medium cage mech and a stinger fitted.
003.jpg

I have to admit, the whole thing runs a hell of a lot better with the stinger on that the reflector bracket bodge.

VamP

Banned
I suppose I can rightfully be accused of pandering to pressure. There: Medium cage mech and a stinger fitted.
I have to admit, the whole thing runs a hell of a lot better with the stinger on that the reflector bracket bodge.

The reflector bracket with hosepipe thing had a kinda rugged outdoor mentalist thing going though :hello:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Looks
003.jpg

much much better. Is there a triple version thingy? I need the big ring for commuting, mmmm maybe I could convert to compact rings and stinger.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looks
much much better. Is there a triple version thingy? I need the big ring for commuting, mmmm maybe I could convert to compact rings and stinger.
No need for chain retention devices with a triple apparently. If you convert from a 42/32/22 to a 36/22 and retain a 11-32 cassette, you only lose 1 to 1.5 top gears.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
No need for chain retention devices with a triple apparently. If you convert from a 42/32/22 to a 36/22 and retain a 11-32 cassette, you only lose 1 to 1.5 top gears.

Why is no chain retention needed on a triple? When I ride rock garden type trails on the mtl (very local to me) my chain slaps around like crazy and is really noisy.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Why is no chain retention needed on a triple? When I ride rock garden type trails on the mtl (very local to me) my chain slaps around like crazy and is really noisy.
I think it's because a chain is less likely to ship off the side with a properly set up derailleur, as by the time it's in the big ring there's plenty of tension in the chain. I tend to do most of my of road riding in the middle ring of a triple, so perhaps that's why. Others may have other theories or wisdom....

I used to get loads of chain slap on the Cube, but an inner tube fastened round the chainstay sorted that out.

The Cotic may not need one, but it's belt and braces for me.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Right
After weeks of fettling, swapping, buying, selling, humming, hawing, choosing and faffing, I think I may finally have finished.

Since I last posted a photo on this thread it's had
Rockshox Reverb dropper seatpost
Answer Protaper 725mm Carbon bars,
XT M785 trail pedals
XT M770 rear mech (med cage)
XT M770 cranks with a BBG superlight bashguard
XT M770 9 speed shifters
SRAM PG 990 Redwin cassette 11-34

I can't think of anything else it needs, so I'm going to declare it finished!

Behold:
Cotic018.jpg

Top Bottom